Page 89 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 921

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

  1. #881
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    333
    That looks really good Alistair, have you found the garage is somewhat smaller now with body back on, couple of months and you’ll be back on the road

  2. #882
    I have to agree with all the comments on the paint job, nice colour and looks great after all these years

  3. #883
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,852
    A great milestone getting the body on and as others have said the paint job still looks great. One other achievement you accomplished this weekend you had as many Novas at your house as the biggest Kit car show in the world had over the weekend

    Dirk

  4. #884
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    A great milestone getting the body on and as others have said the paint job still looks great. One other achievement you accomplished this weekend you had as many Novas at your house as the biggest Kit car show in the world had over the weekend

    Dirk
    Thanks Dirk,

    Unfortunately the paint's not quite as good on the canopy because I stuck gaffer tape around the side windows after they de-bonded and the car sat outside for 3 years before I could get her into the garage.

    A further achievement this weekend was that Phill reached 3000 miles in his Nova this weekend!

    Anyway, yes indeed ... Phill and I could resurrect the Scottish Kit Car Show (which only ran for a couple of years around 1990) to rival Stoneleigh. I have to say though, the 2 Novas that turned up at Stones this weekend are both stunning!

    Alistair

  5. #885
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Thanks for the comments re Chinese purchases guys ... I've been stung by them in the past but may consider buying from there if I can't find suitable gauges closer to home.

    In the meantime, another productive day on the dash pod. The photos are self explanatory, and I've now got it to the 'rough' stage, so it'll take more work with the UPOL Fantastic and Dolphin Glaze to get it ready for whatever finishing treatment I decide to give the dashboard.

    I was considering flocking, but to do it right you need the electrostatic flocking machine rather than the much cheaper glue applied method. I'm not sure, but whatever I decide it'll still need a spotless surface. The finished surface needs to be dark and matt or satin to reduce reflection on the windscreen. Maybe I should just paint it? Another variation of painting that I wondered about is spraying it 1st with stonechip to give it a sort of OEM texture, and then spraying it with a dark shade of satin or matt? Obviously I'll do some trials first to see what it looks like .... but it might be a cheap way of achieving what I'm looking for?

    In the meantime, here's some photos of today's efforts, which remember are still at the 'rough' stage ....










    Great Job Alistair 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

  6. #886
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Upper Hartfield, E Sussex
    Posts
    333
    Alistair you could try plastic dip it gives a rubberised satin finish same as you find on most modern car interior parts, it's in aerosol or on a larger area best use a spray gun as its available in tins which you can thin
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #887
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Alistair you could try plastic dip it gives a rubberised satin finish same as you find on most modern car interior parts, it's in aerosol or on a larger area best use a spray gun as its available in tins which you can thin
    Mike
    Many thanks Mike!

  8. #888
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,214
    I think 5 years hanging from the garage roof may have distorted the body, but only by making it about 15 - 20mm wider at the front of the floorpan. Not quite sure how this happened because the body was suspended at the front by straps from the canopy lower hinge bolts joining at a central point where the block & tackle was. Anyway, Phill gave me a tip to deal with this (ie using a ratchet to pull the 2 sides together) but I also had to build up the fibreglass for 3 of the bolt holes at the front ...





    The stainless bolts are all now in place but the washers on the fibreglass side are too small, so I've ordered larger ones.

    I've also lowered the rear suspension a bit and I think once the roof's on and the tank's got some fuel in it it'll sit really well at the back



    However, as I mentioned the other day in another thread ('Nova droop snoot') the front is still too low. I can physically lift the nose up by almost 2" so if I can fit something similar to Steve's 'flopper stopper' which Flatlands fabricated for him, I'm hopeful that I can achieve something a bit more manageable

    Last edited by BlueNova; 30-08-2021 at 09:16 PM.

  9. #889
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,560
    Hi Alistair - that nose has dropped significantly over time, probably as a result of being unsupported for so long. Fibreglass can do this over a long period, not sure if it is due to "cold flow" (which affects PTFE) or what. I suppose glass is technically a liquid

    Your front undertray should have an extension which covers the area under the front suspension and is supposed to bolt through the floorpan just in front of the "Napoleon's Hat". Is this panel still present on your car, or has it been cut back at some point?

    The reason I ask is that this lower panel is supposed to brace the upper bodywork. To be honest I think you need to lift the nose more than 2" to get it back to where it should be. The front wheel arch has probably distorted to allow the nose to drop so far. Localised heat and constant firm pressure would be required to bring it back into line - perhaps if the nose was attached by a rope to a pulley on the roof with weights attached and fan heaters under the wheel arches?

    I think if you try and force the bodywork while cold the wheelarch return lip might crack (assuming it hasn't already).

    A steel framework will definitely keep the nose in place once it is straightened. I'm sure you can cantilever something off the front beam each side of the spare wheel well. Good luck!

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  10. #890
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi Alistair - that nose has dropped significantly over time, probably as a result of being unsupported for so long. Fibreglass can do this over a long period, not sure if it is due to "cold flow" (which affects PTFE) or what. I suppose glass is technically a liquid

    Your front undertray should have an extension which covers the area under the front suspension and is supposed to bolt through the floorpan just in front of the "Napoleon's Hat". Is this panel still present on your car, or has it been cut back at some point?

    The reason I ask is that this lower panel is supposed to brace the upper bodywork. To be honest I think you need to lift the nose more than 2" to get it back to where it should be. The front wheel arch has probably distorted to allow the nose to drop so far. Localised heat and constant firm pressure would be required to bring it back into line - perhaps if the nose was attached by a rope to a pulley on the roof with weights attached and fan heaters under the wheel arches?

    I think if you try and force the bodywork while cold the wheelarch return lip might crack (assuming it hasn't already).

    A steel framework will definitely keep the nose in place once it is straightened. I'm sure you can cantilever something off the front beam each side of the spare wheel well. Good luck!

    Lauren
    Thanks Lauren,

    Yes, as a naïve youth I cut the extension to the front undertray off just in front of the front beam and didn't do anything structurally to address it, so it's been drooping since she was painted blue in 1989!!

    Anyway, I was playing around with it today and pondering the quest of how to fabricate and install a 'flopper stopper' along the lines of the one that Flatlands made for Steve and will probably go for a simpler version using the 4 frame head bolts as a firm base.

    It's difficult for me to know if the front wheel arches have distorted ... they both look 'fine' and the paint is showing no signs of cracking.

    I intended to simply jack up the nose to insert the steelwork, but will take your advice re pulley/weights and fan heaters for a while and see what happens.

    Thanks again
    Alistair

    Edit... if you want to read more about my droop snoot problem go to the ‘body’ section of the Forum and look for the ‘Nova droop snoot’ thread
    Last edited by BlueNova; 04-09-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •