Page 90 of 93 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Definitely heat it up if you are going to jack up the front end with the overall aim of reducing the droop. As Lauren says it’s liable to crack along the weakest point otherwise which will be the arch lips

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    Definitely heat it up if you are going to jack up the front end with the overall aim of reducing the droop. As Lauren says itís liable to crack along the weakest point otherwise which will be the arch lips
    Thanks Dan, will do.

I won't hold you to this but given your knowledge of body materials, how long do you think I'll have to apply heat and a load? It's the UN Climate Change Conference in Glasgow in November, and I don't want to let the side down by having a huge hole in the ozone layer above St Andrews!

Seriously, I'll take it as far as I can with pulleys/weights and heat .... but if that doesn't give me enough lift I'll have to start looking at replacing my brand new front tyres with higher profiles, or maybe even going down the more expensive route of front beam through bars to replace the torsion bars, and replacing the shocks with coilover adjustables with reduced spec springs! If you look through my build a few years ago you'll see that I gave serious consideration to that ... I'm beginning to wish I'd just gone for it!

Still, there are plenty other jobs to get on with whilst the droopy nose is being worked on by the weights

.... but as things stand at present, it's looking like Stones 2022 might be a wee bit ambitious!

I've got the perfect solution for you Alistair. Why not add a fifth wheel in the centre of the nosecone to raise it slightly. This will have the added benefit of allowing you to traverse speed bumps without crunching the fibreglass. I even went on line and found a picture that shows you what your car would look like with this modification

Bond-Bug.jpg

"The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I've got the perfect solution for you Alistair. Why not add a fifth wheel in the centre of the nosecone to raise it slightly. This will have the added benefit of allowing you to traverse speed bumps without crunching the fibreglass. I even went on line and found a picture that shows you what your car would look like with this modification

Bond-Bug.jpg

Hi Alistair if your lower panel comes off, remove it to release some of the stress, mind looks like you've molded it in, no matter just block under the nose and increase the blocks slowly to bring the nose up, I presume your thinking about a "fork lift bracket" shape off the beam bolts, if you also brace this at the front with bars from the top mounts in the spare wheel well , you could get away with a quite lightweight structure, don't forget to check the beam bolts are still long enough if not replaced with some longer 12.9 hight tensile ones
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Hi Alistair if your lower panel comes off, remove it to release some of the stress, mind looks like you've molded it in, no matter just block under the nose and increase the blocks slowly to bring the nose up, I presume your thinking about a "fork lift bracket" shape off the beam bolts, if you also brace this at the front with bars from the top mounts in the spare wheel well , you could get away with a quite lightweight structure, don't forget to check the beam bolts are still long enough if not replaced with some longer 12.9 hight tensile ones
    Mike
    Thanks Mike, yes it's molded in but it's also cut off just in front of the front beam so it's not doing anything anyway! (and hasn't for the past 32 years! )

Yes, I'm planning a 'fork lift' bracket shape off the beam bolts, extending about 450mm forwards and bolted to the main body tub. I did wonder about the front beam bolts (having already bought new high tensile ones) but if they have to be longer so be it. The metal I'll be inserting behind these bolts is unlikely to be more than 5mm so hopefully the existing bolts will still fit. I'm intending to reinforce the 90' bend in the 'fork lift' metalwork with triangular bracing welded in to increase the rigidity. I don't think that'll have to encroach the bonnet space but if it has to, it'll still be worth it.

It looks like this is going to be a long term background project which can carry on whilst I get on with the dash, interior, canopy and other jobs. Initially I felt really down about it, but having had a few days to think about it and talk it through with folks on the Forum I'm much more optimistic

Thanks again,

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Thanks Dan, will do.

I won't hold you to this but given your knowledge of body materials, how long do you think I'll have to apply heat and a load? It's the UN Climate Change Conference in Glasgow in November, and I don't want to let the side down by having a huge hole in the ozone layer above St Andrews!
    Go with Phillís idea and turn it in to a bond bug
    Itís hard to say in terms of time. Obviously itís taken a while to get to this stage, if it were me I would warm it with infrared lamps (or heat guns or equivalent as I assume you donít have them) and get your garage nice and toasty and gently lift the front end. Then I would brace it as shown by
    David already by running strips of steel under the front end to hold it in place and support the front.

I was thinking about this last night and was thinking about a sort of screw lift kind of thing if you were to do it over a time period. Steel strips under the front to brace it with a long bolt on each that will lift them up. Couple of turns every week and itíll gently lift back up then can be braced permanently

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about the droop snout; These cars always find a way to kick you in the painfuls.

Here is a left-field solution; fit a ~20mm spacer between body and chassis to raise the
    wheelarches on all sides. Two members of forum royalty have already implemented something similar.

Use this solution alongside others on your list (Suspension, Tyres, adjustable fork-lifts, etc.
    Also keep an eye out for 15 inch Slotmags for the front; something will turn up on Ebay, the rears look great BTW.

The prospect of having a fan heater running for 4 months straight while you bend back the nose is not appealing, although it's unlikely to affect the Ozone layer(?). Your house appears to be set in ~50 Acres of land, so I'd suggest planting some trees in the grounds to offset the Carbon

Would a pair of 20x3 alloy strips from the top rear of the boot to the lower front and jack the nose up before fixing work.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Heat wonít do the job and move the fibreglass, especially from a fan heater.

Imagine the cars in hot climates if they had been in the sun all day !😂
    Although painful the only way to move the fibreglass upwards is cutting and back filling with strengthening bars/ rods