Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 428290919293 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Some good work going on. I love the term flopper stopper :-) I'm sure you have thought about it wax oil and plastic bungs in the ends like these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222737587...0AAOSwsABab3SG

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Some good work going on. I love the term flopper stopper :-) I'm sure you have thought about it wax oil and plastic bungs in the ends like these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222737587...0AAOSwsABab3SG

Dirk
    Good idea Dirk ... thanks!

good use of the welder toy, looking very sturdy

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Been enjoying some metalwork lately ... the steering column support is now fitted and I've trial fitted the dash on top

I've also fabricated a couple of flopper stoppers to fix my droopy snoot. These have been trial fitted to the front beam bolts, but will be painted and then finally bolted in position later this week.

You'll also see I've wrapped the body with clingfilm to protect the paintwork as I'm walking in and out of the garage with tools, bits of metal, etc

Nice work, and very neat welding. Will the flopper stoppers fit between the bottom of the wheel well and the undertray or underneath the undertray itself?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Looking great. One thing: is there a way for water to get out of the vertical sections? It will surely find its way in at some stage!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Looking great. One thing: is there a way for water to get out of the vertical sections? It will surely find its way in at some stage!
    Hi Alex,

The vertical one is open at the bottom, the horizontal one has square holes underneath the captive nuts (I needed access to secure them with welds), and the 45í sloping one has a drainage hole at the bottom of the inside face. Dirk suggested waxoiling the inside of the box sections which is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Nice work, and very neat welding. Will the flopper stoppers fit between the bottom of the wheel well and the undertray or underneath the undertray itself?
    Hi Phill,

I mocked the flopper stopper up in wood first to make sure I could actually get it into the space between the bottom of the wheel well and the undertray. Iíll be pleased to get them fitted because the amount of movement in the body was excessive ... fully drooped the fibreglass was resting against the front beam bolts, but in the raised position I can fit the 25mm deep flopper stopper and still have a 5-10mm gap between it and the fibreglass.

Once Iíve fitted them Iíll post a couple of before and after shots

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

Once Iíve fitted them Iíll post a couple of before and after shots
    If you're following this thread some time in the future, I've uploaded some photos to the 'Nova droop snoot' thread in the 'Bodywork' section. If you're interested you'll find them here .... http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...l=1#post137698

Having fabricated steels for the droop snoot, I've turned my attention to the other aspects of the body. I never liked the fibreglass fixings between the body and the rear shock tower because one of mine had split, and so I've produced something more substantial along the lines of Steve's proposal in the Modifications Manual from years ago! Thanks Steve!

The next area I want to look at will be the gap between the body and the rear outer edge of the floorpans, where I intend to fabricate a plate which will cover the gap and provide a solid anchor for the seat belts. More to follow soon .....

Really nice design - I like how the rear diagonal can offer more support further back on the body.

Are they just bolted in on single holes and nuts/bolts at each location?

Iím wondering if a spreader plate bolted to the car and then to these would help even further spreading the load?

Great work - something my car needed for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Really nice design - I like how the rear diagonal can offer more support further back on the body.

Are they just bolted in on single holes and nuts/bolts at each location?

Iím wondering if a spreader plate bolted to the car and then to these would help even further spreading the load?

Great work - something my car needed for sure.
    Cheers Jim, I canít take any credit for the concept ... that goes to Steve! His design included a spreader plate but since Ďdroopí isnít really a problem for the rear and all Iím trying to do is improve the rigidity of the rear whilst driving Iíve gone for a single stainless M10 at each location with a 50x50x3mm plate on the far side, and bolted up nice and tight

Alistair