Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Managed to get back to the Nova today.

Long story short ... it wasn't the clutch pressure plate, the starter, the rocker shafts, the oil pump or the fuel pump that was snagging and preventing me from hand turning the engine. It was the absence of a wee washer that I thought had been incorrectly used for my flywheel. They're normally used for earlier engines, so I'd put it to one side when I assembled the flywheel and clutch. Good job I held onto it, because after re-inserting it, she turned over by hand just beautifully!

Anyway, with the engine re-attached to the transaxle, I got it set up for a trial start with a new battery. First of all, I pulled the lead from the coil so that it wouldn't fire and proceeded to turn her over to check for oil pressure. I did my best to prime the external oil cooler & filter, but it still took several attempts until the oil pressure light went out ... hooray, I've got oil pressure!!

Then I reconnected the coil lead and kept going, but not even a splutter. I checked that the fuel was being pumped to the carb, which it was, and then checked for a spark from the coil lead .... absolutely nothing! So a new coil has been ordered (why on earth did I even think that a 35+ year old coil would work?!?) and I've also ordered a new condenser and points.

Hopefully as soon as they arrive I'll be able to share a noisy wee video with you!
    Last edited by BlueNova; 26-06-2020 at 12:39 AM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking good. So annoying though when you are so close, but try and video your smile when it fires up. 👍

Disappointing but it only creates extra anticipation when you do eventually get it to fire up. I remember when I was trying to start my engine for the first time and all my attempts failed and I ended up replacing the piston rings twice. It got to the point I even dreamed I had managed to start the engine but woke up disappointed when I realised it was just a dream (how sad is that ). But then when the day finally came when I got it started...
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Cheers Phill... I can appreciate how Robert the Bruce felt, and it sounds like you could too!

Blog Entries
    Nice update, you're getting close - well done.
    Engine looking very tidy in the pic, wheels looking good as well.
    Looking forward to seeing the Vid :-)

After a series of setbacks I've finally brought the old girl back to life after 29 years!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc-BOMtOTN8

Alistair

Yay...well done. What a great feeling it must be? I was in Kirkcaldy this afternoon and wondered how you were getting on with the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Yay...well done. What a great feeling it must be? I was in Kirkcaldy this afternoon and wondered how you were getting on with the engine.
    Cheers Phill, it's been a long time coming! After several attempts to get a spark, and having to wait for online deliveries for various components in between each attempt, the starter motor also packed in a few days ago! Anyway, the new one arrived today and after several more attempts, she finally coughed and spluttered and then roared back to life! .... and yes, it's a great feeling!!

All you need to do now is bolt the body back on then it's time for a test drive..

Alistair
    Well done mate. Sounds sweet. 👍