Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    It's looking great Alistair - and a video is so much better than a few photos. I'm loving the wheels, they have come up really well and the new tyres finish them off nicely. Are you planning to replace the fuel tank? Just a thought as it's such an easy job while the body is off but major work if the body is fitted to the floorpan. New tanks aren't at all expensive so if you've got any doubts about the existing tank why not replace it for good measure?

Looking forward to seeing more updates - and you must be itching to re-fit the body now?

I can see you driving it this summer at this rate
    Thanks Phill,
    You mentioned the fuel tank to me when I started my restoration and I bought one ... it's waiting upstairs in the garage! I think you're being very optimistic re timescales ... maybe summer 2021?!?
    Cheers, Alistair

[QUOTE .....
    Just checking if the code is working as it should for the videos Alistair.[/QUOTE]

Excellent Dan ... thanks!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Really good video, and I didn't need sub-titles !

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Really good video, and I didn't need sub-titles !
    Cheers Mark! Aye that's pure deid stoatin sae it is. Hawp ye ken whit a'm saying noo! Ah dinnae lik' hearing masell oan video, sae tend tae speak tae quietly! Mibbie ah shuid juist roar in future!

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed the Vid, well done mate - Chassis looking really good.

Accelerator Pedal

Some of you may have noticed in the recent posts of my rolling chassis that the floorpan around my pedal assembly still has red oxide paint. Despite taking lots of measurements before welding the accelerator pedal bracket to the floorpan, and looking at lots of photos on the web and the Forum, I'm not happy with the angle of the pedal. Here's a couple of photos of the pedal 'at rest' and 'full throttle'.

The 'full throttle' position is based on the 'stopper' touching the floor pan ... but of course that's based on the 'upright' position of a Beetle driver rather than the 'horizontal' position of a Nova driver.

I'm struggling to see how I could stretch my ankle to the 'full throttle' position bearing in mind my legs will be more or less parallel with the floor! However, (@Phill) I've been looking at your build photos and the angle of yours looks similar, but when I drove your Nova it felt fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Whilst it would be nice, I'm not going to go for the 'competition style 3 pedal assembly'. So what are the options? .....

Will this angle actually work ok? Should I replace it with a roller pedal, or remove and reposition the pedal bracket further forward?

The benefits of your greater experience will be gratefully received!

Alistair

Blog Entries
    Hi Alistair, A couple of thoughts...
    First the Nova build manual suggests attaching a 40 Degree 'wedge' to the standard accelerator pedal so that you get full movement of the pedal with your leg coming in from a near-horizontal angle.

Second, see the pic below, cut away the old pedal, and extend the 'roller arm' to become a full pedal.
    Some adjustment (bending) of the arm away from the other pedals is required.

I like the idea of a roller pedal as well.. have you seen one online?

NewPedal.jpg

I had similar fears when I was building my car Alistair. Mine is completely standard and whilst I agree it does look as if you are having to stretch your foot at a more acute angle - the reality is I have never found it awkward at all. I'm sure you'll be fine leaving it as it is
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Using a skateboard wheel as a roller. OK so it is a triple pedal setup but doable on a VW too.
    2.jpg pedal box back in 2.jpg

How about one of those aftermarket VW alloy throttle pedals but fixed to the face of the original with a space bolt so adjustable. So back to the "wedge" mentioned in the build manual.?

VW alloy pedel.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 01-03-2020 at 02:15 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Not a picture I normally show as its one of the few things on the blue Nova I never really did much to. Basically the old roller bar had another metal tube slipped over the top and welded to it, with a flat metal plate welded to that to form the foot pad. Its not pretty but it works well.