Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 226270717273 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Similar experience here too. ....... As with many things choose your MOT station wisely. Those with an understanding of engineering and real cars tend to be more flexible if they realise you know the car well.
    For any lightweight kit I think the flexibility of brake adjustment is essential. ......
    Thanks Jim. All very re-assuring, and I agree re MOT station. Iíve been going to the same place for years, and it only does MOTs, not repairs. They know me well and have passed my welding (thanks to you and others on the Forum who persuaded me to learn to weld!) so Iím optimistic about their level of understanding. Iíve already told them that Iím rebuilding the Nova and intend to take it to them for its MOT. The biggest difficulty might be a short steep concrete slope at the entrance to the garage.... I might need to take some ramps to actually get the Nova into the garage!!

Nice sunny day today, so I rolled the chassis out of the garage and tinkered all afternoon .... after which I got an old bucket seat out, imagined a steering wheel in my hand, and made some 'brrm brrrm' noises

Seriously, there's not much left to do till I can fix the body onto the chassis

Last edited by BlueNova; 17-03-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Yes you're within a bawhair* of getting the body back on. What's left? Plumb and bleed the brakes? replace the fuel tank? Then it's ready to be bolted back down isn't it?

Looking forward to stretching my Nova's legs again and taking a run up to see you now that the better weather and lockdown restrictions are headed our way

*Old Scottish engineering term meaning just a fraction more to go
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Looking good nothing like a bit of sunshine to boost the enthusiasm to work outside

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Looking good nothing like a bit of sunshine to boost the enthusiasm to work outside
    The forecast looks pretty settled for the next couple of weeks, so I should have her finished by the end of March!

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Yes you're within a bawhair* of getting the body back on. What's left? Plumb and bleed the brakes? replace the fuel tank? Then it's ready to be bolted back down isn't it?

Looking forward to stretching my Nova's legs again and taking a run up to see you now that the better weather and lockdown restrictions are headed our way

*Old Scottish engineering term meaning just a fraction more to go
    Yes Phill, plumb & bleed the brakes, fit the new fuel tank to the body, and sort the accelerator pedal. To get the pedal to sit in a more vertical position I fabricated a link with rose joints between the pedal and the accelerator shaft on the pedal assembly. I was quite pleased with it until I tested it and found that at about 2/3 pedal movement, the geometry makes it 'click' forward to lock at full throttle so a bit more work required to get it right. Certainly one job that must be 100% right before fitting the body .... but I'm within a bawhair right enough!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Great pic!

Well done Alistair!

I'm soooo jealous as I can't get anywhere near my cars to start progressing the long list of jobs

Another '5 mins' on the Nova today...

I sorted the 'clicky' accelerator pedal by fabricating a bump stop ... after I had removed the stop on the back of the pedal! Anyway, it now works fine.

I fitted the Limebug steering stops to the steering box (thanks to Mike who suggested this part to Barry as an option in his 'restoring mk1' thread). I went for the bare metal option, primed it, sprayed it gloss black, and then bolted it on. So much simpler than all the faffing around I'd intended to do to set the position of my old steering stop (after rotating it on the beam) and then welding it in position.

Once I've plumbed and bled the brakes I'm going to fit a temporary steering wheel on a basic frame so that I can drive the chassis and test the brakes, etc, before fixing the body in position. Hopefully more on that very soon!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    sorry, wrong post, so I removed...

but looking good `¨)
    Last edited by MartinB; 19-03-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Had another '5 mins' on the Nova today

Nothing major, but an awkward wee job I'd been putting off. I removed the gear shift rod from the chassis tunnel because I suspected that the bushing beneath the gear lever might have perished ... which indeed it had! Eventually I managed to insert a new one, once I realised you need to overlap the gap in the side of it and compress it into a smaller circle.

I then wire brushed the shift rod, slapped on the grease, inserted it into the tunnel via the frame head, and pushed it through the bushing with the help of a plastic pipe taped to the rod.

Whilst I was removing the rod I noticed that the front gearbox mount has a crack in it. Further prodding confirmed I need a new mount! OK, OK, I know ... I should have replaced it before I fitted the transaxle!

Another thing I noticed that's worth mentioning is I've still to fit a new tunnel drain valve at the rear of the tunnel. It is designed to let water out of the tunnel but not in. Might be worth checking if you've got one fitted on your own chassis ... it's a cheap way of reducing the risk of internal rust, along with the frame head cover plate at the other end of the tunnel!