Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Views on Tyres?

Hi all,

I've been researching tyres and am probably going to go for a couple of 255/60 R15 Cooper Cobras on the back, but I don't like the raised white letters so will probably have the letters facing inwards rather than outwards. The tyres are not directional and I've checked with a supplier that it's safe to fit them that way round.

I'm struggling to find suitable tyres for the front. I'd like to go for the same size I had originally (215/60 R14). I've found one supplied by Nankang but I've never heard of them. I think they're from the far east? Has anyone come across them before and if so what do you think of them? (Good/bad/indifferent)

Thanks, Alistair

Im surprised that you have found another brand other than Cooper that still make R14's. Who is the supplier?

I have heard of Nankang but no experience of them.

Sorry not a lot of help.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    215/60R14 B.F.Goodrich Radial T/A

www.northhantstyres.com/main-tyre-pages/b-f-goodrich-radial-tyres/215-60-14-b-f-goodrich-radial-ta.html

Quite a hit though Alistair: GBP £153 + VAT each (and they have the lettering BTW)

I got my tires from Northhants but that is because they are just about the only place I could find 14 inch with the size I needed, they are made for 4X4 cars AT (all terrain) and not a brilliant tread pattern for the road. I also had them fitted with the lettering inside.
    I don't know why you are going for the Cobras? Nankang do both the sizes you want so have matched tiers all round. I've not had any experience with them but are you going to be racing your car round corners driving over 80 mph or doing more that 5k a year what ever you get are going to last a life time and 4 Nankangs are probably cheaper than 2 cobras.

Dirk

I recently bought 4 Nankangs for my car (albeit 205/70 x 14). They are a decent budget tyre with an attractive tread pattern - no complaints so far
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Thanks guys,

Bushboy, the 215/60 R14 Nankangs are from Oponeo.co.uk which is based in London.

Steve, yes, the BF's are good (I've had them before on another car) but pretty steep for the smaller front tyres.

Dirk, I can't argue with that ... I'll not be racing round corners or driving over 80 mph, and I certainly won't be doing more that 5k a year. I've still got a lot of work (ie expense!) to do on my Nova so your point about the relative costs makes sense.

I'll maybe do some more research, but it's beginning to look like it'll be Nankangs all round

Thanks, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I recently bought 4 Nankangs for my car (albeit 205/70 x 14). They are a decent budget tyre with an attractive tread pattern - no complaints so far
    That's really helpful Phill, thanks ... there aren't many reviews out there.

Cheers, Alistair

There you go:-

IMG_8915.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

That looks great Phill ... Thanks for taking a photo for me. I'll order them tonight.
    Cheers, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hi all,

I've been researching tyres and am probably going to go for a couple of 255/60 R15 Cooper Cobras on the back, but I don't like the raised white letters so will probably have the letters facing inwards rather than outwards. The tyres are not directional and I've checked with a supplier that it's safe to fit them that way round.

I'm struggling to find suitable tyres for the front. I'd like to go for the same size I had originally (215/60 R14). I've found one supplied by Nankang but I've never heard of them. I think they're from the far east? Has anyone come across them before and if so what do you think of them? (Good/bad/indifferent)

Thanks, Alistair
    I had Nankang, and had no issues with them, cheap too. Admittedly not 1000’s of miles done on them but how many Nova’s do ( except previously Lauren and of course Bushboy)