Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

I did my alternator conversion a few weeks ago with parts from machine 7.

I was also worried I'd have to swap the fuel pump. There is also some clearance issue with certain carbs, requiring a carb spacer.
    Mine is a 1300 single port with 31pict2.

It bolted on, didn't have to change anything (except the fan-shroud plate).

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey View Post
    I did my alternator conversion a few weeks ago with parts from machine 7.

I was also worried I'd have to swap the fuel pump. There is also some clearance issue with certain carbs, requiring a carb spacer.
    Mine is a 1300 single port with 31pict2.

It bolted on, didn't have to change anything (except the fan-shroud plate).
    Cheers Chris, that's encouraging.

Mine's a 1776 dual port with a big single Holley carb. I've got a new fan shroud plate, but will wait until I have a closer look at the engine with the dynamo off to check the clearance for the fuel pump before placing an order.

Alistair

Had a good afternoon stripping the engine today.

I've been getting lots of bits and pieces for it lately, and the main things I intend to do are:-

• New clutch kit, including flywheel and throwout bearing
    • Replace dynamo with new alternator (and smaller fuel pump)
    • New combined fuel filter/regulator
    • New exhaust
    • New exhaust heat exchangers
    • New crankshaft pulley (& matching alternator pulley)
    • New fuel intake manifold (might be difficult? ... it's for a Holley 2100 single carb)
    • New radiator and pipework for external oil cooler
    • New stainless steel pushrod tubes

I also intend to remove the heads to check them. Other than that, the engine tinwork will be stripped and repainted, and the whole lot will be finished off with other wee bits and pieces from a blue EMPI dress up kit.

Lockdown has some benefits!

Alistair

Your fuel pump looks the same as mine, I think it will be fine.

Looks like you have got a decent engine to start with.

When you remove the heads, you want to be checking for cracks between the spark plug hole and the valve seats. If you can remove the valve springs, its also worth checking for excessive valve guide clearance.
    You will be surprised how much wear the valve train can take and still run. My valves were literally wobbling around in the guides and the collets were almost worn flat.
    Last edited by ChrisBailey; 03-04-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Looks like you already have an extended sump like mine, a good add-on. I guess the shitty business of scrapping, cleaning and painting now starts. I would advise doing that before any stripping so crap doesn't get to the innards.

Great to see a project moving.

Temp sender.jpg

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Cheers Chris and Peter.

Before I do anything Iím going to check that all bolts are hopefully close to the spec torque, check the compressions, and whilst I canít feel any crankshaft end float, put a dial on it to be sure itís in spec. Iíve only looked at 1 spark plug so far, which was fine, but obviously Iíll be checking the other 3 too.

Iím hopeful that everything will be fine because I fitted new barrels and pistons when the car was last on the road and theyíve done way less than 10k.

.... and what a lovely shiny engine Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Cheers Chris and Peter.

Before I do anything Iím going to check that all bolts are hopefully close to the spec torque, check the compressions, and whilst I canít feel any crankshaft end float, put a dial on it to be sure itís in spec. Iíve only looked at 1 spark plug so far, which was fine, but obviously Iíll be checking the other 3 too.

Iím hopeful that everything will be fine because I fitted new barrels and pistons when the car was last on the road and theyíve done way less than 10k.

.... and what a lovely shiny engine Peter!
    Thanks, what isn't red is polished alloy, no chrome, apart from the alternator plate. Blue LEDs highlight it for shows.
    IMG063.jpg

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update - good work. It should run pretty well with that lump ;-)

Keep the updates coming.

Guys and gals,
    I think Iíve discovered that my 1776 vw lump has a terminal illness. Iím waiting on tools to be delivered to confirm, but Iím not hopeful. However, in the global scale of things it doesnít really matter. Itís just Ďstuffí which can be repaired, albeit for a cost. With what the world is facing right now our technical difficulties donít really matter.
    More to follow once Iíve got the tools I need.
    Stay home and stay safe everyone,
    Alistair

Oh no..when you say terminal I hope you don't mean that the engine is scrap? What's the issue?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns