Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    nice job on the wheels, what did you use?

Dirk
    Hi Dirk,

On the rear, wire brush on a drill followed by Mothers Mag & Aluminium Alloy Metal Polish, buffed with a buffing pad on the drill.

On the front, 1500 grit wet & dry sandpaper followed by 2000 grit then 2500, and then Mothers Mag & Aluminium Alloy Metal Polish, buffed with a buffing pad on the drill.

I've still to paint the awkward bits on the rear (ie essentially just the spokes) with silver spray paint, which I also did for my wide 15" rears a while back.

I've taken a few days off to help me crack on after several months away ... and I'm really enjoying it!

Alistair

Looking good Alistair, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rolling chassis too. Hopefully I can bring my car up in the next few months or so and we can check out the wheels on a road going Nova?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Looking good Alistair, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rolling chassis too. Hopefully I can bring my car up in the next few months or so and we can check out the wheels on a road going Nova?
    Thanks Phill, I'm trying to give the resto a wee boost just now. Looking forward to seeing you sometime ... no rush though, my 'wee boost' might not last!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    What a transformation! And doing the inside of the wheel as well, that is diligent.

I've often thought that the intricate casting patterns on the inside of alloy wheels look better than the outside, and it seems that Woolfie slot mags are no exception!

I remember there was a Colani concept car based on a Lamborghini Miura which had novel looking alloy wheels. On closer inspection they turned out to be the standard Miura alloys put on backwards, probably to give that racing "deep dish" look.

http://www.gatsbyonline.com/wp-conte...brid_car_b.jpg

I have also noticed that my Comp Turbos look pretty amazing turned back to front!

Lauren
    I remember when I was a boy my Father had removed one of the wheels from his Beetle and I noticed how deep the dish was on the inside of the wheel so I tried to persuade him to put the wheels on back to front as I thought it would make the car look much cooler...needless to say he ignored my suggestion
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I remember when I was a boy my Father had removed one of the wheels from his Beetle and I noticed how deep the dish was on the inside of the wheel so I tried to persuade him to put the wheels on back to front as I thought it would make the car look much cooler...needless to say he ignored my suggestion
    Shades of Carlos Fandango? (For those who are old enough to remember that particular unfortunate Ford Anglia......)
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Shades of Carlos Fandango? (For those who are old enough to remember that particular unfortunate Ford Anglia......)
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    You left me puzzled with that Alex, so I 'Googled' .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo .... Hahaha! Trouble is, having now seen it, I remember it too!!

Now in an attempt to get my thread back on topic, today I painted my new drums and adjustable spring plates ....

More to follow soon. Must say I'm enjoying these few days off!

Alistair

Since I should have a rolling chassis (of sorts) in the next week or so, my thoughts have now moved to the next stage ... the engine.

Way, way, back when she was on the road in the late 1980's I fitted new 1776cc Mahle barrels & pistons and then ran her quite happily for a couple of years before taking her off the road. After almost 30 years the engine looks pretty sad, so I've been impetuous tonight and ordered lots of nice shiny stuff and a new exhaust to give me the motivation to start on the next phase.

I'm intending to see if I can get her running before I fit all the shiny stuff (OK, OK, I should have done that before ordering the shiny stuff!) but knowing the engine's history I'm optimistic.

I'm also intending to upgrade the dynamo to an alternator but most websites say their 55 amp alternators are only suitable for engines up to 1600cc, so I've sent out a few emails to see if they'll also be ok for 1776cc.

Keeping you up to date with my thoughts (even if they're a bit impetuous!) helps keep me motivated to devote more time to my Nova and try to speed things up!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 07-02-2020 at 12:13 AM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    You're on fire Alistair! Nice update.

My first car had a Type 1 engine (i.e.Beetle) with 1700cc barrels, it had a 55 Amp alternator.

I am wondering why the alternator would only be for 'up to' a certain engine size?
    Maybe they are saying that to differentiate between T1 engines which are 1600 or less in standard form
    and Type 4 engines which are 1700 and above?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    You're on fire Alistair! Nice update.

My first car had a Type 1 engine (i.e.Beetle) with 1700cc barrels, it had a 55 Amp alternator.

I am wondering why the alternator would only be for 'up to' a certain engine size?
    Maybe they are saying that to differentiate between T1 engines which are 1600 or less in standard form
    and Type 4 engines which are 1700 and above?
    That sounds likely Steve ... thanks.

.... and btw it’s not me that’s on fire, it’s my credit card!