Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I bought it on Ebay, like a lot of my stuff. About 8 quid.
    I have had those push rod tubes since day one and no problems.
    Thatís great to hear Peter ... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Thanks Peter, that's the first one I've seen anywhere! Can you remember where you got it?

Meantime, I've turned the corner regarding the engine and have now cleaned it, painted it, and started fitting some shiny bits.

The new EMPI pushrod tubes look great but after I bought them I read some poor reviews, suggesting they don't expand/contract at the same rate as the cylinders, which leads to leaks. Time will tell ....

The engine's looking great Alistair - can't be long before you try bolting it onto the transaxle and firing it up? I remember the first time I managed to get my engine started, I was ecstatic..
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Thanks Phill, yes Iíve not got any excuses of lack of time these days. Currently waiting for delivery if a few items and need to work out how to repair the rusted heater pipes on my inlet manifold. Also have 3 sheared bolts on my cylinder heads for holding the tin wear in place so need to try to get them out. But yes, Iím really looking forward to firing her up! Iíll be doing a video of that

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    The engine looks very nice. Tin were bolts are a pain for snapping when I did my VW engine I swapped all the bolts for stainless.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The engine looks very nice. Tin were bolts are a pain for snapping when I did my VW engine I swapped all the bolts for stainless.

Dirk
    Thanks Dirk,
    I managed to drill out all 3 this afternoon ... and saved the M6 thread on 2 but had to tap out the 3rd for an M7 x 1.0mm bolt which I'll get later. Anyway, the head shrouds are now '3/4' screwed in place!

I'm getting a new oil filter strainer, chrome sump plate & magnetic sump plug delivered tomorrow, along with fresh engine oil.

After that I'm going to sand blast the fan and fan shroud and then paint them (maybe black, or blue?) ready for the thermostat (thanks for the tip ... yes I'll test it before installation) and flaps, etc, which I should get next week. I was tempted to buy a new chrome fan shroud, but the old one isn't in that bad condition so I might as well try to save it.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the journey

Its all looking extremely smart and tidy, nice job....If I were in your position I'd be itching to fire it up, I wouldn't even bother putting it in the car before I did

All looking really good 👍

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    [...] But yes, Iím really looking forward to firing her up! Iíll be doing a video of that

I would also fire it up on a rig, so much easier to sort problems and fine tune. looking really good.
    Go with blue, keep to a theme.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Been reasonably productive over the past few days. Firstly a new thrust bearing and input shaft seal ….

Then a new clutch and new flywheel ….

and then mounted the engine onto the transaxle ….

… and a quick reminder of what I started with when I lifted the body, followed by an 'after' photo ….

Still lots to do, but when nobody’s around I’ve started making ‘Brrrm, Brrrmm, Brrrmmm!’ noises!

Alistair