Page 43 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Looks like 6 minutes to me 😂
    Keep going 👍
    Hi Mark,

That was the easy bit.

As you can see, the transaxle had lots of oil and grime on the outside at both ends of the axle tubes so the work I did yesterday was simply to clean as much as possible in preparation for the main task.

I need to remove the wheel bearings to let me take off the axle tubes and replace the seals/spacer gaskets at each end.

It's a bit of a worry that it's been leaking oil for some time, but I don't recall any gearbox problems when she was on the road. Before I remove the tubes I'm going to drain the oil from the box so that I can see how much is still in there and what condition it's in .... ?!? Here's hoping!

Alistair

Crack on mate, soon be ready for the next bit.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

So after my girls had treated me to lunch in St Andrews overlooking the Old Course for Father's Day, I managed to sneak into the garage and drained the gearbox ...

20190616_165321.jpg 20190616_171301.jpg

... clearly a small amount of sludge, but most of the oil still had a golden colour to it . So far so good. I tipped the oil in to a measuring vessel and found that rather than the manual's 2.5L refill capacity, I only had just over 1L. Still, I'm going to press ahead and replace the axle seals and gaskets and hope for the best.

I also tried to remove the hub nuts which hold the drums in place. Best done with the transaxle fitted and the wheels on the ground to prevent the axle from rotating. Instead I used a 2m length of wood bolted to the wheel studs and resting on the ground to prevent the axle rotating .... but managed to snap it when I applied pressure. I'll try again later once I've found a similar length of metal bar.

.... time now for a wee drink to finish off Father's Day

Alistair

It's all coming along Nicely Alistair. The transaxle is looking great - amazing what a lick of paint does. You'll soon have a completed rolling chassis.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Great work Alistair making steady progress and you will soon have it snow balling into a compete road going car.

Buy your self a slugging spanner. \you can get them on the bay or your friendly T1 VW supplier. You will still need the long lump of timber to prevent the hub turning. I use an old VW steel rim & welded a length RHS to it. Stops the hub turning when slugging the spanner.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Great work Alistair making steady progress and you will soon have it snow balling into a compete road going car.

Buy your self a slugging spanner. \you can get them on the bay or your friendly T1 VW supplier. You will still need the long lump of timber to prevent the hub turning. I use an old VW steel rim & welded a length RHS to it. Stops the hub turning when slugging the spanner.

Bushboy
    Thanks Bushboy ... will do!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Good to see, keep the updates coming :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    So after my girls had treated me to lunch in St Andrews overlooking the Old Course for Father's Day, I managed to sneak into the garage and drained the gearbox ...

20190616_165321.jpg 20190616_171301.jpg

... clearly a small amount of sludge, but most of the oil still had a golden colour to it . So far so good. I tipped the oil in to a measuring vessel and found that rather than the manual's 2.5L refill capacity, I only had just over 1L. Still, I'm going to press ahead and replace the axle seals and gaskets and hope for the best.

I also tried to remove the hub nuts which hold the drums in place. Best done with the transaxle fitted and the wheels on the ground to prevent the axle from rotating. Instead I used a 2m length of wood bolted to the wheel studs and resting on the ground to prevent the axle rotating .... but managed to snap it when I applied pressure. I'll try again later once I've found a similar length of metal bar.

.... time now for a wee drink to finish off Father's Day

Alistair
    should be 4.4 pints (2L) after refill. (it says)
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I've still to replace the seals and gaskets at either ends of the axle tubes, but I couldn't resist popping the transaxle back into place tonight to see what the 'big bad boys' look like in situ!

20190702_212529.jpg

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Looking good man!