Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

The great thing about VW lumps is that unless a rod has come through the block, I had that happen on an old 1300, everything can be fixed quite cheap and easy, unless you go mad like me and spend 4K with, 'everything new and top spec'. .

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Phill & Peter,

Last year I put a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt and was able to turn the engine over, which was a relief. I also took hold of the crankshaft pulley and gave it a good push/pull as a rough check for end play and couldnít feel anything. Knowing that Iíd fitted new barrels and pistons when the Nova was last on the road, and theyíd done less than 10k, I felt confident enough to start buying some shiny bits and pieces to help tidy up the engine.

However, when stripping the engine I removed the clutch to expose the flywheel. As I was doing this I felt a click from the flywheel, so I ordered a magnetic base stand and metric dial gauge Ö. only to find that the end playís well out!

I need to get the flywheel off, remove the shims, and see if the main bearing is spinning in the case. If it is, then Iím looking at a complete strip down and getting an engineer to ream out the case to enable a larger bearing shell to be fitted. The reason Iíve not got the flywheel off yet is that itís not fixed in place with the standard 36mm gland nut Ö. a heavy duty 38mm gland nutís been fitted, so Iím waiting for a 38mm socket to be delivered.

Anyway, as I said, itís just a technical problem which Iíll get fixed one way or another, even if itís going to be expensive. Iíve come this far, so Iím even more determined to get my Nova back on the road Ö but if the case needs engineering work Iíll not be able to get someone to do it for me until life gets back to normal.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Alistair, Wow that is a kick in the teeth.
    Well, Nova owners are usually quite adept at finding a Plan B, C and D.
    I am optimistic that after some further digging (dismantling) a solution will emerge for you.
    I certainly hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Alistair, Wow that is a kick in the teeth.
    Well, Nova owners are usually quite adept at finding a Plan B, C and D.
    I am optimistic that after some further digging (dismantling) a solution will emerge for you.
    I certainly hope so.
    Cheers Steve,

I've been thinking about my options/tactics....

If, as I suspect, the engine needs a complete strip down and reamed out for a larger bearing shell then I might just put it back together now without any of the new shiny bits, simply to get it running.

I'd then focus on everything else required to get her road legal, and once I'd achieved that, drop the engine and completely strip it then. Since there's a risk that the ultimate solution might involve a new engine case, or even a new/replacement engine, I'd prefer to register that change with the DVLA after she's road legal. (However, I think Phill might have got his Nova road legal whilst registering a change of engine at the same time??)

Anyway, first things first ... I need to get the flywheel off to check if the bearing is spinning in the case.

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 07-04-2020 at 07:47 PM.

I hope it doesn't come to a line bore on the case. It is very, very rare that the shells spin in the case unless there has been no oil and seized the big ends. At this stage it is best to strip the engine right down and do what it needed rather than do it all again. I know one can have the engine out and stripped in an afternoon but it is a pain so might as well do it now while you have the time.
    The only things you can't change still bolted to the transmission is the clutch/flywheel, crank, cam and timing gears

engine internals.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 08-04-2020 at 12:18 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Really frustrating day ....

My 38mm impact socket finally arrived so I fired up the compressor and tried to remove the flywheel gland nut ... but it just wouldn’t budge. So I tried my 900mm breaker bar with a 2m hollow tube over it ... still wouldn’t budge. I guess the next step would be taking it to a garage to see if they could move it, but it’s not exactly an essential journey (assuming I could even find someone who was open?)

I’ve been researching the issue of excessive end play and was coming round to the idea of a complete strip down and line boring, but because I can’t get the flywheel off I can’t see if there are any markings on the case behind the flywheel to say whether or not it’s already been line bored. If it has there’s a possibility that it can’t be done again.

I think rather than continue to beat my head up against the wall I’ll turn my attention to something else for the time being, but will probably end up just sticking everything back together and seeing if the engine will run as a short term solution to get the car road legal. After that .... probably look for another engine?

PS ... just been back out for another go this evening, this time with a more WD40 followed by a blow torch to apply heat before trying both the impact driver and the 2m bar but still no joy!
    Last edited by BlueNova; 10-04-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Just a thought as I really don't know and have never removed the flywheel on my engine..but could the nut be "a clockwise to remove"? I'm trying to think which way the flywheel spins in which case the nut should be tightened the opposite way to prevent it from coming undone? The nut holding the cooling fan on the Capri tightens in the opposite direction to normal for this very reason. I haven't tried googling it and my engine handbook is at work so can't look it up to get a definitive answer.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Just a thought as I really don't know and have never removed the flywheel on my engine..but could the nut be "a clockwise to remove"? I'm trying to think which way the flywheel spins in which case the nut should be tightened the opposite way to prevent it from coming undone? The nut holding the cooling fan on the Capri tightens in the opposite direction to normal for this very reason. I haven't tried googling it and my engine handbook is at work so can't look it up to get a definitive answer.
    Cheers Phill

I've checked and I'm 99% sure it's counter clockwise to remove. In fact I tried the air impact socket in both directions to try to break it free ... I'm suspecting it's been 'loctited', but I would have thought applying heat would have helped with that?

What's also frustrating is I bought one of those 36mm torque tools for the flywheel and rear drum nuts, only to find that someone's fitted a 38mm gland nut to the flywheel. At least I can still use it for the rear drum nuts, but I was hoping to get the 38mm gland nut off with the air impact socket and then replace it with a standard 36mm gland nut using the torque tool ... the best laid plans, etc, etc!

I had hoped to upload some photos of my attempts today but to cap it all my photo hosting site (vgy.me) is currently down whilst they restore photos from a backup following a server failure!

Alistair

[QUOTE=BlueNova;132653]Cheers Phill

I've checked and I'm 99% sure it's counter clockwise to remove.

It's definitely right hand thread i. e counter clockwise to undo also are you using at least a 3/4 drive socket as a socket 1/2 bar will have to much spring in it to put enough force on the nut
    Mike
    Last edited by Mikemrb; 10-04-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    It's definitely right hand thread I. e counter clockwise to undo
    Mike
    Thanks Mike. I'm now thinking how I could adapt my new torque multiplier tool to tackle the 38mm nut (rather than the standard 36mm nut)

Cheers, Alistair