Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update - great work.
    I continue to be in awe of home-spun ground up builds such as this. Keep the updates coming.

Alex/Phill/David/Steve,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Even although I've still got Everest to climb, it feels great to be making progress again, particularly with a new skill, and I can now remind myself of how good it feels to get back in the garage!

Phill mentioned to me a while back that the secret is to break it down into small elements and I'm finding that helps a lot .... but I still keep wanting to jump ahead to the finish! So Phill, if you fancy a shot of my Sealey in the meantime, just say so and we'll organise a visit.

Cheers, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    those easterly winds whipping off the North Sea don't encourage me to venture out to the garage!
    I know exactly what you mean. For me, work seems to grind to a halt in the Autumn then starts again in the late spring when the weather is a bit warmer and the evenings are daylight again. I think if you set yourself a goal to complete the chassis by late summer you will be doing well. But it's not a race to the finish anyway so there's no reason to rush - just enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    So Phill, if you fancy a shot of my Sealey in the meantime, just say so and we'll organise a visit.
    You're welcome to come and visit anytime - you might even get a go in the car driving up and down the street if you're lucky
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

My philosophy was, at least 5 minutes a day, every day.
    You will always see progress that way.
    You’ll get there ....

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    My philosophy was, at least 5 minutes a day, every day.
    You will always see progress that way.
    You’ll get there ....
    That's an excellent philosophy Mark ... I've failed today! Note to self ... 5 mins tomorrow!

Hi folks,

I'm about to weld the front frame bottom plate into position, but before I do I want to take the opportunity of the large opening in the chassis tunnel to get access coat the inside of the tunnel with a rust converter and probably a further protective coating whilst I'm at it.

I'm intending to stand the tunnel on its rear horns and use a cheap (weed killer type) hand pump spray with a longer than normal tube between the pump and the spray nossle.

.... I was just wondering if any of you have done this before and if so, is there a better way of doing it?

Cheers, Alistair

Blog Entries
    This kind of preventative maintenance is a great idea;
    fairly easy to accomplish at the chassis build stage, 10x more difficult with the body on ;-)

I like your idea of a weed-killer type 'mist' spray that can find it' s way into every nook & cranny of the tunnel,I guess you'd have to thin-down your rust-killer to make it sprayable?

My low-tech solution would be a radiator paintbrush attached to a broom handle, and paint-on your 'stopper'. I have heard mention of POR15 Rust stopper on this forum, I have not used it myself though.

Now that you've fine-tuned your welding skills, I'd be tempted to weld-in a metal conduit down the length of the tunnel for the main power cable and maybe other electrics? ... Just a thought.

Thanks Steve, yes, I'll have to thin down the rust converter to make it sprayable. I'm going to use 'Flag' rust converter which has good reviews and states on the tin that it can be thinned for spraying. Given the difficulty of access I'll give it at least 2 coats .... this is my one and only opportunity to do it so I might as well do my best to maximise the coverage.

I like your idea of fixing a conduit down the length of the tunnel for the main power cable, etc. I reckon I'll incorporate that .... thanks!

Well, I finished welding the framehead today. The welds on the front face have all been ground down so that I don't affect the caster (thanks for pointing that out to me a while back Dirk!) and I've also welded the back face just for 'belt & braces'. The next task is rust converting the inside of the tunnel and then it's on to fitting the framehead bottom plate. I'm really enjoying the progress at the moment.

Front face welding finished.jpg

However, my elation was short lived because just after I took that photo I went over to switch off the welder, gas, etc and stood up only to knock my head on a sharp part of the engine bay on the Nova body. I put my hand to my head whilst swearing profusely to try to dull the pain, only to feel the blood trickling down my face and onto the floor. The dangers of body off restorations!!

The dangers of body off resto.jpg

Anyway, thinking 'A&E' here we come, I grabbed a rag, held it firmly on the wound and went to surprise my wife. A few minutes later we realised that it had stopped bleeding so she took great pleasure in cutting away some hair so that she could get a plaster with antiseptic cream on it.

I'm very careful when working in the garage ... got lots of safety gear including a couple of fire extinguishers, but I think I need to wear a crash helmet next time I'm working on the Nova!!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 22-04-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    You're welcome to come and visit anytime - you might even get a go in the car driving up and down the street if you're lucky
    Only just spotted your post Phill ... sounds great, I'll take you up on that. It would be great to see your Nova in the flesh.

Cheers, Alistair

Yes would be good to meet with you again. Let me know when you want to drop by?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns