Page 21 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Thanks for your suggestions guys .... I'll let you know how I get on.
    Alistair

When you talked about a reverse drill bit did you mean an easy out bit (As David mentioned) as I've never had any success with these either

51xAFVYZTzL._AC_US218_.jpg

or an actual reverse drill bit (left hand spiral) i.e. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobalt-Allo...rse+drill+bits

I have had good success using left hand spiral bits when a number of Manifold Studs sheared on my Capri. The reverse drill action often results in the bolt unscrewing itself during the drilling process which is why I was suggesting you try drilling from the back of the frame head (using a conventional drill bit) into the broken stud.

And it goes without saying ..make sure you use new sharp drill bits or it'll take forever
    Last edited by Phill; 30-08-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    When you talked about a reverse drill bit did you mean an easy out bit (As David mentioned) as I've never had any success with these either

51xAFVYZTzL._AC_US218_.jpg

or an actual reverse drill bit (left hand spiral) i.e. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobalt-Allo...rse+drill+bits

I have had good success using left hand spiral bits when a number of Manifold Studs sheared on my Capri. The reverse drill action often results in the bolt unscrewing itself during the drilling process which is why I was suggesting you try drilling from the back of the frame head (using a conventional drill bit) into the broken stud.

And it goes without saying ..make sure you use new sharp drill bits or it'll take forever
    Hi Phill,

Yes, it was a set of 'easy out bits' I bought, which are meant to screw into the hole I create in an anticlockwise direction and hence unscrew the offending bolt. However, I need to create a long enough hole in the first place, and that's the difficulty I'm facing at the moment.

I didn't know that you can get left hand spiral bits. If I can't make any progress with the 'easy outs' I'll get myself some left hand spiral bits, because I can't get my drill in the correct orientation from the other side using conventional bits because the drill's too big and the Nap's Hat gets in the way!

The main thing is 'keepin the heed' and trying not to get too frustrated! I'll have another go at the weekend.

Thanks, Alistair

Edit PS .... been looking at youtube videos tonight. I'm tempted to try to weld a nut to it. If it works it would be a lot quicker!!
    Last edited by BlueNova; 30-08-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Well, I finally got back into the garage at 11am this morning. Tried welding a nut to the broken stud in the hope that the heat would help release it, but to no avail … it wouldn’t budge!

20180902_121244.jpg

Decided to go back to ‘Plan A’ but used cobalt drill bits this time in the hope that they would get through the drill bit I previously embedded in the broken bolt. I was careful to drill slowly, apply as much pressure as I could, and keep the end of the bit well lubricated with oil, but they hardly even scratched it. At 2.30pm I was back on the internet looking for advice and I came across a review of cobalt drill bits which said ....

Bought some of these cobalt bits to drill a pierce of hardened steel, what a waste of time and money! Then tried it with a straight 5mm Bosch multi drill bit, the ones with the blue spiral, went through it in about 5 seconds flat with a one off hole size”.

These Bosch drill bits have multiple diamond-ground carbide tips and are described as being suitable for masonry, wood, aluminium, structural steel, plastic, concrete, etc. I must admit I was skeptical, but determined to make some progress so I headed up to Dundee to get a 4mm bit and an 8mm one from Toolstation.

Bosch Multi Use Drill bit.jpg

OK, it wasn't quite “5 seconds flat” but maybe 10 mins later I’d drilled through at 4mm and widened it to 8mm …. One VERY happy chappy here!!

20180902_194338.jpg

I’ll get a 10mm Bosch bit during the week and finish widening the hole. I know I’ll not be able to save the threads so I’ll get a longer bolt with a washer and nut for the back.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Nice one, worth knowing I might buy a few just incase.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Well done - great work!
    Is there not a *chance* to save the original thread as the hole gets wider?

Interesting to read about the Cobalt drill bits as well - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Well done - great work!
    Is there not a *chance* to save the original thread as the hole gets wider?

Interesting to read about the Cobalt drill bits as well - thanks
    Cheers Steve. I'll see how it goes, will probably use a 9mm bit 1st, but holding the drill by hand means that I can't be 'mm sure' of the alignment .... I have the feeling I'm slightly out of centre as it is!

I'll probably also try the 'easy out bolt extractors' again before I drill any wider ... it would be extremely satisfying to be able to finish the job properly, but at least I'm at the position of knowing I've cracked it, and the worst case scenario now is stripping the threads which is easily rectified by using a bolt with washer and nut at the back .... unless I happen to get an easy out bolt extractor stuck in my lovely 8mm hole!!

Alistair

Glad you found a soloution - Incidently - although I have a set of original cobalt Frehi drill somewhere (they'll still be good because I haven't seen them in years!) I found that if you sharpen a good quality carbide masonary drill (needs the right sort of grinding wheel or diamond) and use oil, low speed and strong pressure you can drill pretty much anything. Try it with a cheap carbide bit and it will disintigrate instantly.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Glad you got it sorted. I know the feeling when you come across a problem like this and your not sure if you can overcome it. It niggles away at you, but then once you find the solution and know for sure you can overcome it, you feel a lot better knowing you're back on track. The biggest danger when you first encounter a problem like this is to keep going at it until you make the problem much worse. Often the best thing to do is what you did, walk away and leave it for a few days, mull the problem over, then go back to it.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I bought a set of those 'drill anything' as demonstrated at the show and bloody useless! half bent, (unbendable) two had the tips fall off and the rest just went blunt, or I should say even more blunt as they were not sharp to start With. . basically just cheap masonry bits, the two 'rasp' bit snapped like carrots. Lifetime guarantee? can't even get a reply to emails. Nice alloy box though
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl