Page 23 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

I had exactly the same issue with my first Nova. Instead of trying to tap a new thread I simply replaced it with a large nut and bolt instead as there is access to fit the nut on behind the frame head. Not sure that drilling an oversize hole into what is effectively just a sleeve in order to fit a helicoil is the answer here - what if you burst through the walls of the sleeve by going oversize? My understanding is that helicoils work best in a solid casting such as a cylinder head, whereas the frame head is hollow
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I had exactly the same issue with my first Nova. Instead of trying to tap a new thread I simply replaced it with a large nut and bolt instead as there is access to fit the nut on behind the frame head. Not sure that drilling an oversize hole into what is effectively just a sleeve in order to fit a helicoil is the answer here - what if you burst through the walls of the sleeve by going oversize? My understanding is that helicoils work best in a solid casting such as a cylinder head, whereas the frame head is hollow
    Thanks for the suggestion Peter, but I think Phill's right so I'll stick to my original plan of a longer bolt and nut & washer to make it secure.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Steve, I got my seats from Intatrim. Really nice people and will basically do any design you want.
    Regards
    Buffy

Thanks gents, I need a *very* low-slung seat base, but maybe they can sort something out for me.
    I will give them a call.

After running daughters here and there, I finally got settled in the garage this afternoon to continue with the floor pan drops …. when Mrs BlueNova appeared at the door and expressed concern at the increasing amount of time I’m spending in there! Then she started moaning about wanting logs cut for the stove because it’s starting to get colder up here in Bonnie Scotland, and said we also needed to buy a new ash tray for the stove! So I made her a new ash tray out of the sheet metal I’m using for the Nova …. and she went away happy, leaving me to continue with the other woman in my life!

20180915_152401.jpg

I felt the plans in the manual for the rear of the drops didn’t really reflect the ‘slightly curved’ edges so I made up a cardboard template and just worked from that.

20180915_164418.jpg

I managed to get most of the folds done today and hopefully tomorrow I’ll get some more time in my man cave (undisturbed!) to cut my lovely new floor pans ..... and start welding the drops into place.

20180915_173241.jpg 20180915_185852.jpg

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    some very nice work,

I have said it before but if I were doing drops again I would angle the rear section like the front but not as shallow, if you have to go over something that is higher than the floor drop the car will catch but still ride over the obstacle if you have a flat right angle so to speak it will just stop. So far I have been stopped reversing 4 times and had to put sections of wood under the rear wheels to lift the body.
    3 times have been coming off 4 poster ramps and one time after my first MOT reversing out of the garage and they had a sleeping policeman.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    So I made her a new ash tray out of the sheet metal I’m using for the Nova …. and she went away happy, leaving me to continue with the other woman in my life!

That welder is paying for itself already you will start to wonder how you managed without one

You are growing in confidence with what you can actually do yourself.
    Really nice work. It’s all showing in quality work.
    Well done 👍

Thanks guys

... and Dirk, I remember you talking about the rear of the floor pan drop a while ago, and made a mental note to include it when I eventually got to this stage. I'm not as young as I used to be, so I forgot! I think I'll get a board for the garage so that I can write such good ideas on it and see them whilst I'm working. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm going to take your advice and alter the drops to accommodate a sloping rear. I'm so glad you reminded me before I started welding today!

Cheers, Alistair

You're making good progress and the ash tray was a stroke of genius to keep Mrs Blue Nova pacified
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Cheers Phill

Well, I’d hoped to get the full day in the garage but no luck … daughter’s DS3 needed a new battery so trying to find one on a Sunday in Scotland was frustrating, but I did, and managed to fit it by lunchtime.

Anyway, I got into the garage for the afternoon and made up new rear panels for the floor pan drops at 45’ and altered the side panels to suit. I hope I can keep up this momentum, because I’m enjoying the progress I’m making.

Vertical vs 45'.jpg both 45' drops.jpg
    Sitting on top of floor pan.jpg 45' on top of floor pan.jpg

(The names of photos explain what you're looking at)

…. and thanks again Dirk for the suggestion about sloping the rear of the drops!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 16-09-2018 at 08:47 PM.