Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Glade to see you are back working on your car. keep the updates coming.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Glade to see you are back working on your car. keep the updates coming.

Dirk
    Thanks Dirk ... much appreciated!

good to see her out in the sunlight again, must feel like a real boost to the motivation levels

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    good to see her out in the sunlight again, must feel like a real boost to the motivation levels
    It is indeed David ... thanks!

As Lauren says I don’t think you’ll have any problems with the brake bias adjusters inside ,on my tarmac rally car used to run everything inside a stripped out car making everything highly visible I never had any problems with brake adjusters, hydraulic handbrake etc (had to swap out the fly off handbrake though) for the Mot. Good to see you’ve got the urge to work on the car the weather make all the difference

Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Good to see man

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    As Lauren says I don’t think you’ll have any problems with the brake bias adjusters inside ,on my tarmac rally car used to run everything inside a stripped out car making everything highly visible I never had any problems with brake adjusters, hydraulic handbrake etc (had to swap out the fly off handbrake though) for the Mot. Good to see you’ve got the urge to work on the car the weather make all the difference

Mike
    That's great Mike. I'll probably put it inside in the passenger footwell so that I can fit the body without disconnecting it, but it's also out of reach so that it can't be adjusted whilst driving.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Good to see man
    Thanks Steve!

Great to see progress and the sun shinning, wish I could say the same.
    Good point about the bake bias adjustment, I WAS going to put the knob for the cable next to the steering but it might fall foul of the 'inspection' needed for 'matriculation. so I will leave it off and just make a fabric covered foam pad in its place. I can always fit it afterwards if I feel it needs it.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Great to see progress and the sun shinning, wish I could say the same.
    Good point about the bake bias adjustment, I WAS going to put the knob for the cable next to the steering but it might fall foul of the 'inspection' needed for 'matriculation. so I will leave it off and just make a fabric covered foam pad in its place. I can always fit it afterwards if I feel it needs it.
    I like your idea of covering the valve Peter. If I put mine in the passenger footwell that would protect it from getting accidentally kicked. Hope the restrictions in Estepona ease soon to let you spend more time on the SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post

Anyway, that applies to the IVA test. I can tell you that the Green Machine has been through the last 8 consecutive MoTs with an adjustable brake bias pedal and dual master cylinders without adverse comment.

However, I agree that you don't need to adjust the brake bias while you drive, so the valve can really be fitted anywhere that is readily accessible. The type of adjustment that racers perform while on the move is best left to anti-lock braking systems for road use

Lauren
    Similar experience here too. Both Novas I have put through multiple MOTs had adjustable bias on braking via a bias bar. In fact on the first Nena MOT the guys allowed me to brake test pre MOT and see if my guesstimate was correct. As it happened it was, but they afforded me some time to check and adjust if needed. On the last Nova I had the remote adjustment knob and cable fitted on the first MOT for adjustment in-situ if needed but once confirmed to be ok I removed the cable and adjuster. I left it for a while tucked behind the centre console. As with many things choose your MOT station wisely. Those with an understanding of engineering and real cars tend to be more flexible if they realise you know the car well.

For any lightweight kit I think the flexibility of brake adjustment is essential. I have brake tested the Nova at high speed on an empty damp dual carriageway and stopped it very safely and quickly from top speed to halt. On my first ever beachbuggy with stock brakes an emergency stop was a scary affair - lock front wheels and skid in a straight line if lucky, or spin around pretty quick !