Page 16 of 140 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    ...It gives me the option to keep the standard height or lower it by up to 3"...
    Alistair
    Glad to hear it ISN'T the same as the one I had then

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Glad to hear it ISN'T the same as the one I had then
    I hope so Gaisa! They confirmed "standard, to minus 3" in the product Q&A on their website.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    [...] I'm still toying with the idea of replacing the torsion leaves with torsion bars and fitting coil overs but that's for another day .... I've got a whole lot of things I need to do before I get round to fitting the front beam and fine tuning the suspension. [...]
    Hi Alistair, Good to see things are ticking over and it looks like you've found good value beam there.
    When it comes to choosing your Front suspension, I'd suggest that you go for the through-rods and coil over route.
    I found getting the correct spring-rate & ride height using the VW torsion leaves to be tricky on my first car, I ended up with torsion bars alongside coil-over 'boosters'. Not great.

Hey

Good luck with it mate

Quote Originally Posted by glasgowgolfer View Post
    Good luck with it mate
    Cheers Dave! It'll be a while before it actually gets used. I've still to finish the chassis. Still, it's a life long bug that I caught back in the '70's when I first saw a Nova. Was lucky to get mine (already built) in 1986. Drove it till 1991, tucked it up in the garage from 1994, and then started pulling it apart in August 2016. .... Surely I'll get her back on the road before we hit the 2020's?!?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Alistair, Good to see things are ticking over and it looks like you've found good value beam there.
    When it comes to choosing your Front suspension, I'd suggest that you go for the through-rods and coil over route.
    I found getting the correct spring-rate & ride height using the VW torsion leaves to be tricky on my first car, I ended up with torsion bars alongside coil-over 'boosters'. Not great.
    Thanks Steve,

You may remember I 'highjacked' your rebuild thread recently to discuss coilovers after you showed photos of the progress with your chassis. I've been making enquiries about the 'through rods' and have a couple of potential suppliers. Wish my chassis was looking like yours right now btw!!

Alistair

Some of you will remember my thread in the chassis section last year when I was looking for advice on 'whether to weld myself or pay someone to do it for me'. Well, after a winter of relative inactivity (other than continuing to buy nice new bits & pieces for my Nova) I finally got back in the garage this weekend.

I'd been practising my welding on and off during the winter. Setting the clutch and tensioner correctly on my new Sealey took many attempts to get right, and I created lots of 'birds nests' in the process. Also, Sealey don't provide a table of voltage/line speed/metal thickness settings inside the cover (for newby's like me!) so after many youtube videos I finally managed to start frying bacon .... and it sounds great!

So whilst progress has been slow, I've almost completed the repairs to the frame head this weekend. A couple more patches, and then it's on to the Napolean's Hat, front framehead bottom plate, and floor pans. Hopefully progress will start to accelerate with the better weather ... those easterly winds whipping off the North Sea don't encourage me to venture out to the garage! It would be great to be able to completely finish the chassis by the end of the summer, but I'll not beat myself up if it takes longer. Main thing is that I'm really enjoying the project and I'm so pleased that I took your advice and got my own welder.

(The names of the photos explain what you're looking at) ....

Front RHS of tunnel.jpg Front RHS of tunnel flange repairs.jpg

Preparing to weld flange.jpg Rot cut out of front face (2).jpg

Making good progress on front face.jpg

Cheers, Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 15-04-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Great progress, welding is really satisfying when you get the hang of it - and having a decent machine takes one of the potential glitches out of the loop!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Well done Alistair - you're making progress. Some neat work there with the welding. I wish I had the ability (and equipment) to do my own.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

There is nothing more satisfying than the sound of a good sizzle when welding. I bought myself a Sealy last year too to replace my old SIP Mig after all the discussion in your thread. All I can say is what a difference it made to the quality of my welds!

Nice looking welds, I know you must feel ecstatic after each job is done