Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

I really like the look of that rear end, very nice clean lines and the additional lower section blended in well to help hide a bit of the exhaust (with a custom exhaust I'm sure all would be hidden).

Nice job

Phill, I became Scottish Club Nova rep around 1988/89. The post was vacant at that time, and I just asked David Iles if I could take on the role. There were only a handful of us at that time, so it wasn’t a burden!

Hi Lauren – Yes, it’s my Nova in the mods and service manual. I made up the removable rear panel for from scratch. The photos below aren’t great quality but you can see the original panel and the sections of new fibreglass.

Thanks for your comments David. The rear is simply held in place with 4 nuts & bolts. Assuming my rebuild goes OK, I’d like to hinge it from the top with a couple of small gas struts to hold it up …. However, there’s an awful lot of more important work to be done first before I get to that stage! I like your idea of a custom exhaust to hide the silencer.

mobile backup 18 feb 15 389.jpgmobile backup 18 feb 15 390.jpg

What were the lights from, Vauxhall Cavalier MK2 ?

I just did a search on these, its amazing how many New Old Stock lenses that are still available out these for these lights..... hmm....tempting I have to say as they do seem to go with the rear of the car the way you did it. What I don't find however is the centre reflector that goes under the numberplate.
    Last edited by islandman; 20-08-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Hi David,

Yes, they're from a Mk 2 Cavalier. I liked the horizontal black lines which complemented the horizontal louvres above.

Shortly after I took the car to Stoneleigh, Sam Cobly produced his stunning metallic blue Nova when he set up in business producing the kit in Cornwall, and it had the same rear lights, but the centre reflector was turned upside down compared with mine. ..... I couldn't help wondering if he got his ideas for colour and rear end/lights from my Nova.

David,

Here's a couple of photos of Sam's Nova with the same rear lights .... remember it?

Cheers,

Alistair

Sam Cobley Mk4 rear.jpgSam Cobley Nova.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, yes I had forgotten Sam had designed his rear end around these. I have always been a fan of round lights on the Nova's, I guess its just the mental association I have of Ferrari's being supercars and having round lights. Which is why my blue Nova has Ferrari 355 rear lights (and no I'm not trying to pretend its a Ferrari!).

I sort of like the cavalier lights look as being very "finished" when using the reflector etc.. I just have a nagging doubt that they may look a little "dated" I just can't decide whether to go that route at the moment or not... decisions decisions..
    Last edited by islandman; 21-08-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post

I sort of light the cavalier lights look as being very "finished" when using the reflector etc.. I just have a nagging doubt that they may look a little "dated" I just can't decide whether to go that route at the moment or not... decisions decisions..
    But where do you stop with that, David? The slot mags look a bit dated -for that matter the whole car design manages to be both dated and timeless.... if you like them use them! Grafting 'modern' features like Fiat headlights that don't really suit the lines is much more of a problem and tends to scream 'kit car' - properly styled-in lights that complement the cars lines don't date. Just my twopen'rth
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    David,

Here's a couple of photos of Sam's Nova ...

Sam Cobley Mk4 rear.jpgSam Cobley Nova.jpg
    I always loved that picture! it was the first time I was exposed to the beauty of the Nova!

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    The slot mags look a bit dated

Actually I totally agree with you on this point, I continued to use these as I hadn't found any others that fitted the car, suited the car and that I liked......as soon as I do they will be gone!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I've always loved the look of the slot mags... I wished I had them rather then the wolfrace turbo vecs that are on my car - it was one of the few things I would have changed when I bought it if I'd had the chance! `¬)

Each to their own I guess!