Page 25 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Great work - well done.
    I think you have also reached a build 'milestone'

Personally, I would put another 'coat' on top of the hammerite,
    be it Stonechip, Dinitrol or whatever.

Keep the updates coming

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    You're making great progress Alistair. You won't regret dropping the floor pans and the end result has been well worth it. It won't take much time at all to re-fit all the running gear but I assume you will be refurbishing much of this too? Whats next on the list?
    Thanks Mark, Steve and Phill,

Steve, yes, I fully intend to apply another coat underneath because there are areas where you can still see bits of red oxide underneath.

Phill, before turning my attention to getting the chassis back on 4 wheels I've still to give the full treatment (red oxide/seam sealer/hammerite) to the topside and sort out the pedals. I've ordered a RHD chassis pedal strengthening plate and should have it in a few days.

After that I'll share my time between the new front beam and the old transaxle. The gearbox worked fine all those years ago, so I'm just intending to clean it up, apply some fresh paint and replace the rubber boots. I'll also drain the oil from the gearbox and refill it.

My new front beam is a LHD one so I'll need to remove and re weld the steering damper mount and see if I can make use of my old right hand drive steering box stop (or just buy a new box stop). After that I need to decide whether to improve the front & rear suspension now, or just go for the basic set up and wait until the car is road legal again. I'm leaning towards the basic set up because my key priority is to get her road legal again, and after that I'll see if I've got enough money left to do the 'nice to have' bits and pieces.

The more I think about it the more there is to do, but as long as I can keep up this momentum, I'll be happy. (I don't know where Dirk gets his energy from!!)

Alistair

Another '5 mins in the garage' this afternoon, to keep things going. Brought the chassis out of the garage, flipped it over, sanded the driver's side, sat on the driver's floorpan to imagine what it'll be like and then put the 1st coat of red oxide on that side. More to follow soon!

Alistair

20181011_112559.jpg 20181011_112839.jpg
    20181013_150701.jpg 20181013_155100.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Looking great Alistair! I like your manoeuvring dolly, that's got to make a huge difference, and it keeps all that freshly painted metal off the ground - well done
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Blog Entries
    Nice update.
    You have certainly been thorough on your chassis prep - good work.

Not sure if I missed this in your build thread,
    but did you treat the inside of the main tube with underseal (or whatever), what product did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice update.
    You have certainly been thorough on your chassis prep - good work.

Not sure if I missed this in your build thread,
    but did you treat the inside of the main tube with underseal (or whatever), what product did you use?
    Thanks Lauren & Steve. Yes Steve, I used Flag rust converter and sprayed it inside with 2 coats using a hand pressure pump, with the tunnel standing on its head. You'll find some photos and text at ....

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...l=1#post125944

Cheers, Alistair

It's looking great Alistair, and a very solid, rust free basis now for your rebuild. Keep the momentum going. I'm looking forward to the day we can take both our cars for a photo shoot in St. Andrews
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Looking very good. A nice solid base for your rebuild.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking very good. A nice solid base for your rebuild.

Dirk
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    It's looking great Alistair, and a very solid, rust free basis now for your rebuild. Keep the momentum going. I'm looking forward to the day we can take both our cars for a photo shoot in St. Andrews
    Thanks Dirk and Phill,

I'm looking forward to that day too Phill. The last time my Nova was on the road with another was when my old Nova pal John Henry (from Moodiesburn) and I drove down to Stones in 1990.

Since the sun was shining this afternoon I decided to keep going so I pulled the chassis back out of the garage to strip the passenger's side. Steve got me thinking about the inside of the tunnel again and when I looked inside it was full of small metal filings and dust, etc, that had gathered from all the grinding and sanding, etc. I don't want them lying inside rusting on top of my rust converter, so I used the airline from my compressor to clean out the tunnel.

I then applied the 1st coat of red oxide to the passenger's side and the 2nd coat to the driver's side 20181014_155256.jpg

Cheers, Alistair

Another '5 mins' on the Nova today ...

Taped up the seams on the driver's side .... 20181018_112019.jpg

Sealed the seams .... 20181018_125507.jpg and ran out of seam sealer so have ordered another tin!

.... and applied 1st coat of smooth black Hammerite to the driver's side .... 20181018_203254.jpg

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 23-10-2018 at 09:39 PM.