Page 28 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Good work Alistair - the before and after pictures show how far its come on. Keep the momentum going now. The weather's getting warmer so no excuses

I went past your place today on my way back from St. Andrews, it was very misty but nice and sunny further Inland - next time I'm out that way will probably be in the Nova on my way to visit you
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Good work Alistair - the before and after pictures show how far its come on. Keep the momentum going now. The weather's getting warmer so no excuses

I went past your place today on my way back from St. Andrews, it was very misty but nice and sunny further Inland - next time I'm out that way will probably be in the Nova on my way to visit you
    Thanks Phill (and Mark & Bushboy),

You should have popped in anyway! Yes, the forecast was for sunny periods here today but the sun only made its way through the mist for about 20 mins!!

Really looking forward to seeing you over here in your Nova! ... that'll give me a great incentive to get as much done as I can before you arrive!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you had a productive day - a few more jobs off the list.
    Seeing your 'before' pic with the 2 top-mounted brake reservoir pipes on the master cylinder heading up into the front compartment/boot, reminded me about this 'Direct Mount' reservoir:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-V...-/111925867948

This makes for an easier install on the Nova, and allows you to set-up the brakes before you put the body on. It also makes removing the body easier as it's one less connection to worry about. Just a thought ;-)

Nice work Alistair, I love before and after photos they are so good for motivation when you don't think you have done much. Keep it up.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Sounds like you had a productive day - a few more jobs off the list.
    Seeing your 'before' pic with the 2 top-mounted brake reservoir pipes on the master cylinder heading up into the front compartment/boot, reminded me about this 'Direct Mount' reservoir:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-V...-/111925867948

This makes for an easier install on the Nova, and allows you to set-up the brakes before you put the body on. It also makes removing the body easier as it's one less connection to worry about. Just a thought ;-)
    When I started my Avante build I put one on. I soon took it off when I did the change to the pedal box they are not so easy to have a casual look at the level or to top up.

Dirk

Thanks guys

I had actually already been thinking about fitting a direct mount reservoir, because it looks a much neater solution than the standard option, but I share your concerns about accessibility Dirk. Anyway, I'm intending to tackle the front suspension next, followed by the transaxle, and then I'll get on to the brakes.

Cheers, Alistair

I finished work early today so I grabbed "5 mins" in the garage before tea. The new front beam I bought was LHD so it needs converted to RHD by transferring the steering damper bracket from one side to the other, removing the LHD steering lock stop from the new beam, and fitting a RHD steering lock stop to the other side.

I've been looking for a RHD steering lock stop for ages, but they're always out of stock or on backorder. The one on my old beam was too rusty but I acquired another old beam last year and the one on it looks reasonable. Anyway, making careful use of my dremel, angle grinder and sanding flap discs I got everything removed, tidied up, and ready for welding. I'm leaving the RHD steering lock stop soaking in penetrating oil so that (hopefully!) I'll be able to adjust the bolt positions.

LHD steering damper bracket removed.jpg LHD steering lock stop.jpg LHD steering lock stop removed.jpg RHD steering lock stop.jpg RHD steering lock stop removed.jpg

(The file names explain what you're looking at)

Alistair

Well done Alistair
    More than 5 mins but you have the general idea !
    Regards
    Mark

Nice to see a brand new beam , which should go well with your fully reconditioned as new floor pan. Making good progress Alistair, keep the momentum going.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

nice bit of progress.

Dirk