Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 464

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

  1. #291
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    When I did mine I bought a cheap 20 ton press of Ebay it was cheaper than having someone else do it and I have used the press lots since then as well.

    Dirk
    Thanks Dirk,

    Iím actually a ball joint Ďvirginí! Ö every time my van or daily car has needed one Iíve taken them to the garage, paid my £90 or whatever, and carried on with life. However, the more I get into the restoration of my Nova (itís the 1st full restoration Iíve done) the more I want to do myself.

    Iíve looked at videos online and read through various forums and am torn between the ďC clampĒ type of remover/installer and a 20t press. The clamps come with a variety of adaptors which when used in different combinations enable both extracting and installing, whereas the presses Iíve seen so far donít come with any adapters.

    Have you bought a special set of adapters for your press, or are you just making do with sockets, old metal tubes and any other bits and bobs around your workshop for each individual task?

    Whatever I decide to purchase, I want to be able to use it for the Nova, the van and the family car (and save myself a few pennies instead of resorting to the local garage again!)

    Cheers, Alistair

  2. #292
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Thanks Dirk,

    Iím actually a ball joint Ďvirginí! Ö every time my van or daily car has needed one Iíve taken them to the garage, paid my £90 or whatever, and carried on with life.

    Have you bought a special set of adapters for your press, or are you just making do with sockets, old metal tubes and any other bits and bobs around your workshop for each individual task?

    Cheers, Alistair

    I am all for doing it yourself how else do you learn in life? at one time you where a welding virgin and look how that turned out.

    I have made all the tooling myself for the press as you say appropriate sized pipes bars and yes even the odd sockets have been used, but it all works.

    Dirk

  3. #293
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,170
    Many thanks Dirk ... I'll let you know how I get on

  4. #294
    I'd go with the press over the C-clamp type every time! Never regretted buying mine. I once had access to a 50 ton flypress when I worked in an engineering workshop (many years ago) Nothing much argued with that but it was hugely heavy, needed a lot of room for the arm to swing and was quite hazardous. I thought I'd be getting an ancient one of those until discovering hydraulics and was SO glad I did!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

  5. #295
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I am all for doing it yourself how else do you learn in life? at one time you where a welding virgin and look how that turned out.

    I have made all the tooling myself for the press as you say appropriate sized pipes bars and yes even the odd sockets have been used, but it all works.

    Dirk
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I'd go with the press over the C-clamp type every time! Never regretted buying mine. I once had access to a 50 ton flypress when I worked in an engineering workshop (many years ago) Nothing much argued with that but it was hugely heavy, needed a lot of room for the arm to swing and was quite hazardous. I thought I'd be getting an ancient one of those until discovering hydraulics and was SO glad I did!
    Thanks Alex & Dirk,

    This Forum is doing wonders for my self confidence ... thanks both! (and also to everyone else who's helped me with my Nova restoration with all their advice and moral support)

    The 'Ball Joint Virgin' is sitting here with his credit card. He's just ordered a 20T hydraulic press and upper and lower ball joints for the torsion arms.

    He says that he's got a similar feeling to the one his wife and daughters presumably get when they simply have to "hit the shops""!

    Photos to follow in a few days!

    Alistair

  6. #296
    Senior Member Phill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Livingston (Scotland)
    Posts
    1,219
    Lets just hope Mrs Blue Nova doesn't decide to use the 20T press on your ball joints for spending all that cash.....
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

    http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns


  7. #297
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Lets just hope Mrs Blue Nova doesn't decide to use the 20T press on your ball joints for spending all that cash.....
    Haha Phill

    .... I'm hoping that it'll get delivered whilst she's at work. Then I'll simply put it in the garage and she'll be none the wiser .... because she never goes into the Man Cave

    If you ever want to use it Phill, you're welcome to come over 'to press your own ball joints'

  8. #298
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,170
    I got my new ball joints and track rod ends a few days ago but I'm still waiting on my hydraulic press. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.

    In the meantime, I've removed the torsion arms from the old front beam, given them a thorough degreasing, and applied a coat of red oxide.

    20190310_171723.jpg

    One of the lower arms appears to be excessively corroded on the outer edge of the ball joint socket so I removed the same arm from my old spare beam and degreased/painted it instead. However, I've noticed that the pin for the lower end of the shock absorber is a larger diameter. Perhaps earlier models were different? I don't know if this'll give me issues further down the line but if needs be I could always just buy a new torsion arm.

    Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on my new press. I've been reading vw forums and see that the new ball joints need to be inserted in a particular orientation (marked by a notch) because the joint only swivels backwards/forwards. I can feel this restricted movement in the old joints.

    Alistair

  9. #299
    Senior Member Phill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Livingston (Scotland)
    Posts
    1,219
    More progress - well done. I had a simialr issue with the lower shock absorber pin mount. One side was a different diamater to the other. It turned out the larger diameter pin had the old shock absorber inner bush still attached which was very diffcult to remove. However, once re-assured by Peter and Bushboy that this was in fact the case I used an angle grinder to cut it off. See here (scroll down to near bottom of page) :- http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...y-begins/page8
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

    http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns


  10. #300
    Senior Member Phill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Livingston (Scotland)
    Posts
    1,219
    More progress - well done. I had a similar issue with the lower shock absorber pin mount.The shock absorbers I had wouldn't fit. It turned out the larger diameter pin was because it had the old shock absorber inner bush still attached which was very diffcult to remove. However, once re-assured by Peter and Bushboy that this was in fact the case I used an angle grinder to cut it off. See here (scroll down to near bottom of page) :- http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...y-begins/page8
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

    http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •