Page 31 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Excellent Phill ... Thanks

I'll have a go at removing it tomorrow

Ahh yes, the old shock rubber metal sleeve trick. Fooled more than one of us before.

Angle grinder or you could even screw a nut all the way down, weld the nut to the sleeve & then just undo the nut.

Good t see you are pushing on with the build.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I got the hydraulic press yesterday and put it together today.

20190312_151210 (2).jpg

The instructions were pretty useless and the red paint had to be sanded out of all the holes for the supporting rods to get them through. Paint had also got into the threads on a few welded nuts, so they had to be cleaned out as well. I'll be mentioning these things when I write my review but I'm going to wait until I get the ball joints out and the new ones in before I submit it.

Anyway, I'm just about ready to go! The difficulty has been finding press adapter sets for T1 VW ball joints ... do they even exist now? I've ordered some round metal tubing with what I reckon has the correct outer and inner diameters, which I'll cut to size and hopefully I'll be able to get started shortly.

I seem to be collecting lots of tools on my restoration journey .... at the start I took the view I can always sell them when I'm finished, but I'm enjoying using them so much I can see me looking for another resto instead .... and maybe a divorce!!

Alistair
    Attached Images Attached Images

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Wow, its a big unit!

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Wow, its a big unit!
    Yes, ... see what I mean about having to consider another resto after this one to make the welder and hydraulic press, etc, etc, worthwhile!

(However, Mrs Bluenova doesn't really venture into the garage, so I might be OK)

Anyway, ... if anyone fancies a trip to Scotland to use the press just let me know!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    You can never have too many tools

Dirk

Gosh that is a seriously substantial unit! In my mind I had imagined something smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Gosh that is a seriously substantial unit! In my mind I had imagined something smaller.
    David, it's got to be a 20T press to deal with the VW ball joints. It only cost £130, so I figured that it'll pay for itself just doing these 4 ball joints, and after that I'll make savings on repairs to the family car, my van, and my daughter's car rather than paying a garage to do the work.

.... and like Dirk said, "you can never have too many tools!"

I've always considered buying tools a good investment.

Getting the right tool for the job makes the project go so much easier, faster and safer than trying to get by with a tool that wasn't meant for the job or under rated for the job.

I got one of those presses years ago and its paid for itself many times.

I don't know what your shops charge for labor, but over here its just plain stupid. Dealers are charging $145 USD an hour

A shop wanted $145 USD just to hook up a scanner to my sons truck to find the problem. Thats not even turning the thing on.
    We had some choice words and I told them what they could do with their scanner.

I went home and ordered my own scanner and its paid for itself many times.

Hi Brett,

Funnily enough, I'm currently looking for a diagnostic scanner for a fault with my daughter's car.

I totally agree with you on cost of paying others to repair car faults. Several years ago my old 4x4 failed its MOT and required some serious welding. I had no option at that time but to pay £800 for a day's welding to keep my car on the road. However, thanks to this Forum, I'm now able to weld and will not need to pay others to do this for me in future.

I'm enjoying seeing your posts on your rebuild. Keep your updates coming!

Alistair