Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Nice press, we went for the 20 ton job with the built in ram, nothing beat it so far and some of the 76mmx32x76 bearings can be a bugger. Used to hammer the things out before,

I made one using some 4" RSJ and a 5 ton car bottle jack, works well.

Boss bought a scanner for the buggys from same firm that supplied the new unrestricted ECUs and paid 167€, idiot, could have bought the identical one on eBay for 30€ or less, come to think about it,where the hell has mine got to?

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

I'm enjoying seeing your posts on your rebuild. Keep your updates coming!

Alistair
    Thanks

I have to admit that I'm really hesitating on posting because of the bad experience that I had on the Sterling site.

At first it was fun to post progress and ideas but after some time certain people started to attack those ideas. Didn't matter if they were good or bad ideas or if they worked or not.
    Alot of members quit posting because of these people also.

I latter became very defensive on my posts and when regular members posted stuff....Well lets just say some of my comments weren't that nice. I didn't like what was happening to me so I quit posting myself.
    Before I quit posting I ended up being the only person posting.

If it wasn't for David and Peter I wouldn't be posting at all here.

Give me some time. I'll try to get back to posting the progress.

Got to go the grand kids are starting to show up

Brett

We don't allow that sort of bad behaviour on here - and admin will suspend or ban offenders - not something we've had to do very often!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    We don't allow that sort of bad behaviour on here - and admin will suspend or ban offenders - not something we've had to do very often!
    Have to agree Alex ... I've had nothing but great technical and moral support from members, along with the odd affectionate leg pull of course!

Seriously, I couldn't have got to where I am right now without the help of others, and I'm looking forward to the rest of my rebuild ...

... thanks guys and gals!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Fully agree with this. Both Alex and myself are on here frequently, I don’t post as much in recent months however I’m on the forum several times per day.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thanks

I have to admit that I'm really hesitating on posting because of the bad experience that I had on the Sterling site.
    Brett
    Well I certainly hope you start posting more Brett, because you are disappointing me so far

You inspired me so much in the past to stretch myself and try things I hadn't before. You also push the envelope in terms of design and trying new things. So please do share all your experimentation with the wider community

I am glad David and I managed to get you on here, some of your ideas are 'Marmite' for sure but any idea is a good idea and any post is a good post. Even things that didn't 'make the cut' on your car could be useful on another, I know I have stolen a couple of them on my SS.

I agree that any 'bad mouthing' has to be curtailed and I certainly would not stand for it, "if you don't have anything constructive to say, shut the f**k up". Luckily it's not something we get very much of on here, if at all.

I have enjoyed immensely following your build on the Stirling site and hope some of my comments and ideas have been of benefit and you can find the time to present a build diary on here too. So many great ideas, a few lemons too , but hey, no one gets it right, first time, all the time. boy, do I know that!

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I had a similar issue with the lower shock absorber pin mount. The shock absorbers I had wouldn't fit. It turned out the larger diameter pin was because it had the old shock absorber inner bush still attached which was very difficult to remove. However, once re-assured by Peter and Bushboy that this was in fact the case I used an angle grinder to cut it off. See here (scroll down to near bottom of page) :- http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...y-begins/page8
    Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Ahh yes, the old shock rubber metal sleeve trick. Fooled more than one of us before.

Angle grinder or you could even screw a nut all the way down, weld the nut to the sleeve & then just undo the nut.
    Hi Phill, Bushboy & Peter,

I eventually got round to 'the old shock rubber metal sleeve trick' today .... got it off in less than a minute!!

20190317_182243.jpg

Many thanks!!

Managed to spend some more time in the garage this afternoon. However, even with my shiny new 20T press, the ball joints were a challenge to remove. I'd been searching for a press adapter set for these ball joints but hadn't come up with anything. VW forums are full of stories of folk 'making do', so that's what I did. I didn't want to punch the balls out through the base of the joint because that would leave the 'sleeve' still in place. I therefore cut off the threaded arm of the joints so that the press could apply the load evenly across the remaining face.

20190317_141536.jpg 20190317_141753.jpg

20190317_154222.jpg 20190317_164224.jpg

The 1st one popped out with very little load applied, but the other 3 took several attempts and lots of WD40 and there was quite a bang when they came out. Anyway, I've got some metal tube that's exactly the right diameter for pushing the new joints in, so that job will hopefully be easier than this one.

I'm glad I decided to renew all the ball joints because before I cut the threaded arms off I could feel play in the joints. One less thing to worry about when I eventually get to the MOT stage!

I'm going to remove the rubber boots from the new joints when I install them, to ensure than I don't damage them, and also to give me an opportunity to make sure that they're well packed with grease. You'll see from the 1st photo that the slot for the ball only allows travel in the front/back directions, so it's essential that the new joints are installed in the correct orientation.

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 17-03-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hi Phill, Bushboy & Peter,

I eventually got round to 'the old shock rubber metal sleeve trick' today .... got it off in less than a minute!!

20190317_182243.jpg

Many thanks!!
    I'm pleased the forums advice helped you with the lower shock absorber mount just as it helped me. Shows the value of forums such as these and I really appreciate all the advice that has helped me no end in my re- build.

Good to see you managed to get the old ball joints out. This was one of the few suspension components I didn't renew on my car simply because I never thought it was a practical DIY proposition and I could not detect any free play anyway so elected to leave them....

However, I know where to come to should I ever need to replace mine
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns