Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    No progress for the past month.

You'd think that summer time would be the best time to get things done but family hols, and the work pressures immediately before and after hols mean that the Bluenova's been sadly neglected.

Anyway, I finally managed to get into the garage this afternoon for 2 or 3 hours and drilled out the 2 broken bolts for the rear torsion arm cover plate.
    20190825_173105.jpg
    I also removed the swing arms (with plenty of reference marks painted on first!) because I want to replace them with adjustable swing arms. OK, I know, I know, you can spend time getting your ride height the way you want it by rotating the splines, and then not have to touch it again, but the hidden sides of the arms were badly pitted ... and to be honest I just want an easy life by simply adjusting a grub screw to fine tune the height! So I removed the torsion bars to check their length before ordering the new adjustable arms earlier tonight.
    20190825_151549.jpg
    So all in all not a very exciting update, but for me it was just another of Buffy's 'regular 5 mins' in the garage, and it helps me to demonstrate to myself that I am still making progress .... even if it's just at a snail's pace!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 25-08-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I also removed the swing arms (with plenty of reference marks painted on first!) because I want to replace them with adjustable swing arms. OK, I know, I know, you can spend time getting your ride height the way you want it by rotating the splines, and then not have to touch it again, but the hidden sides of the arms were badly pitted ... and to be honest I just want an easy life by simply adjusting a grub screw to fine tune the height! So I removed the torsion bars to check their length before ordering the new adjustable arms earlier tonight.
    Alistair
    Good plan - that'll make such a difference and you will be able to get the height spot on without all the faffing..
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Interesting post, because I'm going to do the same. My car is a good couple of inches
    lower on the near side- looking at the swing plates the angle is completely different from
    one side to the other, so it looks like he/she lowered one side, then left the project.

With adjustable plates I should be able to get it right - learning how to get them off on 'you tube'
    keep clear of the plate when hitting it seems be the advise!

Using adjusters to correct incorrect settings would be wrong as although you would end up with the same static ride height both sides you may not have the same torsion. Get the torsion the same each side then adjust equally for height

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl