Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Since I should have a rolling chassis (of sorts) in the next week or so, my thoughts have now moved to the next stage ... the engine.

Way, way, back when she was on the road in the late 1980's I fitted new 1776cc Mahle barrels & pistons and then ran her quite happily for a couple of years before taking her off the road. After almost 30 years the engine looks pretty sad, so I've been impetuous tonight and ordered lots of nice shiny stuff and a new exhaust to give me the motivation to start on the next phase.

I'm intending to see if I can get her running before I fit all the shiny stuff (OK, OK, I should have done that before ordering the shiny stuff!) but knowing the engine's history I'm optimistic.

I'm also intending to upgrade the dynamo to an alternator but most websites say their 55 amp alternators are only suitable for engines up to 1600cc, so I've sent out a few emails to see if they'll also be ok for 1776cc.

Keeping you up to date with my thoughts (even if they're a bit impetuous!) helps keep me motivated to devote more time to my Nova and try to speed things up!

Alistair
    Size of engine is irreverent, the basic 1600 case is used by all T1 and T2 engines. it's only the alternator output that's important and 55W is more than enough. I have a large-ish audio demand with 650W amps and it's OK with that.
    Mountings etc are the same, fan, back plate all fit,
    Going all out 'bling' or just highlighting and paint the rest?
    Engine 800.jpg

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

The chrome dress up kits look great but the rocker covers aren't as good as the originals so make sure you don't throw them away in case you decide to revert back at a later date. I found mine leaked oil and I struggled to get a good seal until someone suggested using grease to hold the gasket in place during fitting. That seemed to do the trick but I wish I'd kept the original covers instead of throwing them away.

Regarding the alternator, I think you need to change the fuel pump too but you probably already know that.

What exhaust are you getting - presumably one that uses the heat exchangers?

Finally - how are you managing to hide all this spending from Mrs BlueNova?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Thanks Peter, that’s great. Don’t know about ‘all out’ bling, but a fair bit of chrome and some blue to match the body. Must admit I’m looking forward to this stage of my resto

I recently got my engine running again after several years and fitted a 55amp alternator.
    It sounds like you know your engine was a decent runner before its hibernation. I have bought mine from eBay (several years ago) and only had it running once before it was put on long term hold.

I would recommend getting it running before bolting on shiny bits and the alternator.
    I changed the points, HT leads, rota cap and rotor.
    Pull the spark plugs out (change them while you are there) and crank the engine over for a short while. Gets the oil moving around again and will throw any condensation or other muck out of the cylinders.
    Refit the plugs, pour some fuel down the carb and go for it.

Once its running, you can get a picture of what needs doing. I had idling problems and low compression on one cylinder, turned out the valves were wobbling in their guides.
    It's better to get it running nicely before fitting the nice stuff, you will only be pulling it all apart again.

Pretty sure the alternators are the same fitment for all beetle years/engines.
    I would recommend the alternator conversion kit from machine7. Comes with everything you need.
    There is some differences between the dynamo stand and backing plates, so make sure you have or get the ones designed for the alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    The chrome dress up kits look great but the rocker covers aren't as good as the originals so make sure you don't throw them away in case you decide to revert back at a later date. I found mine leaked oil and I struggled to get a good seal until someone suggested using grease to hold the gasket in place during fitting. That seemed to do the trick but I wish I'd kept the original covers instead of throwing them away.

Regarding the alternator, I think you need to change the fuel pump too but you probably already know that.

What exhaust are you getting - presumably one that uses the heat exchangers?

Finally - how are you managing to hide all this spending from Mrs BlueNova?
    Thanks Phill, I'll hang on to the old rocker covers just in case.

Yes, I've seen a couple of alternators advertised along with the fuel pump, and pointing out that a lot of suppliers don't supply the pump.

The exhaust is a Monza 4 Tip, just the same as I had before, however I'm going to cut the pipes which feed the 4 chrome 'tips' and weld in sufficient extra pipe to enable the chrome tips to be relocated further to the sides and a bit further up.

.... and as for Mrs Bluenova, she knows I'm getting bits and pieces but has no idea what it's all costing!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey View Post
    I recently got my engine running again after several years and fitted a 55amp alternator.
    It sounds like you know your engine was a decent runner before its hibernation. I have bought mine from eBay (several years ago) and only had it running once before it was put on long term hold.

I would recommend getting it running before bolting on shiny bits and the alternator.
    I changed the points, HT leads, rota cap and rotor.
    Pull the spark plugs out (change them while you are there) and crank the engine over for a short while. Gets the oil moving around again and will throw any condensation or other muck out of the cylinders.
    Refit the plugs, pour some fuel down the carb and go for it.

Once its running, you can get a picture of what needs doing. I had idling problems and low compression on one cylinder, turned out the valves were wobbling in their guides.
    It's better to get it running nicely before fitting the nice stuff, you will only be pulling it all apart again.

Pretty sure the alternators are the same fitment for all beetle years/engines.
    I would recommend the alternator conversion kit from machine7. Comes with everything you need.
    There is some differences between the dynamo stand and backing plates, so make sure you have or get the ones designed for the alternator.
    Thanks Chris, very helpful! ... and it looks like I'll have a while to do the proper checks before I get all the 'bling' because they told me today that despite the website saying the 'bling kit' is in stock ... it's actually on backorder with no confirmed date of when it'll be available again!

Watch out for the quality of the (mostly Chinese) chrome these days - it seems to be applied in virtually homeopathic quanitites - and offers zero resistance to rust..... I didn't bother with that sort of dress up because coastal Cornwall weather would be unmerciful with it!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Watch out for the quality of the (mostly Chinese) chrome these days - it seems to be applied in virtually homeopathic quanitites - and offers zero resistance to rust..... I didn't bother with that sort of dress up because coastal Cornwall weather would be unmerciful with it!
    Hmmm, it's beginning to look like I'll have to make my Nova 'Princess 2' .... and not let her get wet!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    There’s only one Princess 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    There’s only one Princess 😂😂
    Hahaha!! OK, I'll just call mine Bana-phrionnsa