Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    The chassis is looking very nice I love the before and after shots, whilst sometimes it my feel like your not making any progress when you see photos like that side by side it does show how much you have done.

As for wheels I did not know about the dots Ill have to look at mine, when I did get my tires fitted and the wheels balanced one of them was way off to the point I could see the guy adding more and more weights then shaking his head and going of to speak to another guy! Eventually they got it sorted but like yours there are a lot of weights.

Dirk

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The chassis is looking very nice I love the before and after shots, whilst sometimes it my feel like your not making any progress when you see photos like that side by side it does show how much you have done.

As for wheels I did not know about the dots Ill have to look at mine, when I did get my tires fitted and the wheels balanced one of them was way off to the point I could see the guy adding more and more weights then shaking his head and going of to speak to another guy! Eventually they got it sorted but like yours there are a lot of weights.

Dirk
    Cheers Dirk,

I can't help but feel I'm progressing at a snail's pace when I think how quickly you got your Avante upgraded and back on the road following the accident. However you're right, comparing B&A photos really helps me to focus on what I've achieved so far. Moving on to a different area like the engine will help too.

I laughed out loud when I read your experience of wheel balancing ... it sounded like you went to the same place as me!!

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Cheers Dirk,

I can't help but feel I'm progressing at a snail's pace when I think how quickly you got your Avante upgraded and back on the road following the accident. However you're right, comparing B&A photos really helps me to focus on what I've achieved so far. Moving on to a different area like the engine will help too.
    Don't worry about how long it takes - it's not a race. I started rebuilding mine back in Oct 2014 and only got it back on the road this time last year - so 4 1/2 years and it's still not finished. You'll find when you approach a major milestone then things will pick up pretty quickly as you become more motivated. I was like you and had long periods of inactivity and I'm pretty sure family and friends saw it as Phill's Folly that would never be finished. But you have a plan and it's best to stick to it. Slowly but surely you'll get there. It helps when the weather gets a bit warmer too and the longer evenings afford a bit more time to work on the car. And come the better weather, I'll be bringing mine up to your place to give you a bit more motivation.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Bored stupid I was looking for something to comment on positively and saw you wheel balancing problems.

A good tyre place will always try to fit weights on the inside, mainly as modern wheels have all the offset on the inside with 'flush' outsides but one thing I have had to pull my people up on is tyre fitment. there is a red dot on the wall of a new tyre, this SHOULD be placed at the valve position as all new tyres are balanced when made and the red dote is opposite the heaviest point on the tyre or, conversely, the lightest point.. If the red dot is anyway opposite the valve this would need more weight to balance.

REF; Ex-area manger, National Tyre Services, (OH, that was me)

Progress is in the eye of the beholder, As everyone knows many of us have been plodding away more in enjoyment of the journey than the arrival but I have been 'working' on mine since 2005 and in it's new home since 2014 so at 145€ a month it's cost well over 10.000€, plus parts and materials, well above the value of the car but well below the enjoyment, (frustration, expense, heartache), of doing it. I may never see it on the road, mostly due to bureaucracy rather than my efforts but I will continue enjoying my 'hobby' for as long as I can.
    Last edited by Peter; 18-02-2020 at 10:40 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Don't worry about how long it takes - it's not a race. ..... And come the better weather, I'll be bringing mine up to your place to give you a bit more motivation.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Phill, and yes, I'm looking forward to the Spring for several reasons, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing you and your car over here!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Bored stupid I was looking for something to comment on positively and saw you wheel balancing problems.

A good tyre place will always try to fit weights on the inside, mainly as modern wheels have all the offset on the inside with 'flush' outsides but one thing I have had to pull my people up on is tyre fitment. there is a red dot on the wall of a new tyre, this SHOULD be placed at the valve position as all new tyres are balanced when made and the red dote is opposite the heaviest point on the tyre or, conversely, the lightest point.. If the red dot is anyway opposite the valve this would need more weight to balance.

REF; Ex-area manger, National Tyre Services, (OH, that was me)

Thanks Peter. I found yellow dots on my rear tyres and both red and yellow dots on the front ones ... from their positions it's clear that the fitters paid no attention to them! Nevertheless, I'll wait to see how they feel once I actually get the Nova back on the road, but at some point I'll get them re-done properly.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

With the discussion earlier today about uploading videos on the Forum I thought I'd add a short clip of where I am at the moment. Apologies for the sound quality (best to turn up the sound!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mchhSkbGf18

I also received another bit of kit in the post today ... my new brake bias valve, colour coded to match my blue Nova!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 27-02-2020 at 05:53 PM.

It's looking great Alistair - and a video is so much better than a few photos. I'm loving the wheels, they have come up really well and the new tyres finish them off nicely. Are you planning to replace the fuel tank? Just a thought as it's such an easy job while the body is off but major work if the body is fitted to the floorpan. New tanks aren't at all expensive so if you've got any doubts about the existing tank why not replace it for good measure?

Looking forward to seeing more updates - and you must be itching to re-fit the body now?

I can see you driving it this summer at this rate
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Just checking if the code is working as it should for the videos Alistair.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*