Page 80 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Taking the coupling off and using mole grips seems like a good idea as i eliminates two possible problems, the selector and the coupling.
    I put my selector plate on wrong and had no reverse, as I forgot the ball of the selector moves in the opposite direction to the
    lever so reverse being hard left and back means ball (rod) is hard right and forward so if on backwards the selector would hit the lockout going into 1st.
    Have you double checked that? As it was OK last driven I wouldn't waste time on internal theories.
    Last edited by Peter; 19-06-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I've just been out to look at my car to compare it against your video.

On my car the coupling sits level when selecting 1st and 2nd. It sits at a slight angle when selecting third and fourth, then again at a slight angle (the other way) when selecting reverse.

So see if you can engage 1st with the selector sitting level instead of at an angle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I would take the coupling off and use a pair of mole grips to see if you can select the gears and work from there.

Dirk
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Taking the coupling off and using mole grips seems like a good idea as it eliminates two possible problems, the selector and the coupling.
    As it was OK last driven I wouldn't waste time on internal theories.

Thanks so, so, very much Phill, Dirk and Peter!!

Looks like I was getting 3, 4 and reverse in the previous video. Following your guidance and advice I'm now getting 1, 2, 3, 4 and reverse .... see latest video .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kkNBZu_Ii0

So given I've got a new coupler, shift rod bush and shifter plate, my problem must lie in the actual setting of the position of the shifter plate under the gear level.

Pheeeeewwwwww!!

Alistair once you get the plate in its optimum position might be worth scribing around the plate for reference in case you ever move it again, hope you get it sorted
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Alistair once you get the plate in its optimum position might be worth scribing around the plate for reference in case you ever move it again, hope you get it sorted
    Mike
    Will do Mike. Canít tell you what a relief it is to find the problem isnít inside the gearbox!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    That's good news its not the box. The shifter plate can be a pain I'm sure you are aware of these guys

http://www.vw-resource.com/plateadj.html

It does take a bit of time but I'm sure you will get there.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    That's good news its not the box. The shifter plate can be a pain I'm sure you are aware of these guys

http://www.vw-resource.com/plateadj.html

It does take a bit of time but I'm sure you will get there.

Dirk
    Thanks Dirk. Yes, Iíve used Rob & Daveís pages before and theyíre very helpful. Thinking about it logically my first go will be to move the shifter plate closer to the drivers side because itís now clear that when I thought I was engaging 2nd and unable to find 1st I was actually engaging reverse without pushing down to get it.

I donít care if the Ďfiddlingí takes a while ... at least I donít have to remove the engine and strip/replace the gearbox! .... so fixing the body to the chassis is now still on track for this summer

I found that once had reverse sitting in the right place it all worked fine.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Pleased to hear your gearbox is OK and you're back on track. Let me know if you need assistance to re-fit the body and I'll come up and give you a hand?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Pleased to hear your gearbox is OK and you're back on track. Let me know if you need assistance to re-fit the body and I'll come up and give you a hand?
    Hi Phill,
    That sounds like a plan 👍
    Got several family issues at the moment, including putting my Mum into care today. Things went better than I expected so hopefully her life and ours will become a bit easier.
    Anyway, Iíll fit the new petrol tank and do a few other preparations soon so that we can set a date for you to come over to help me to refit the body.
    Really looking forward to that!
    Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hi Phill,
    That sounds like a plan 👍
    Got several family issues at the moment, including putting my Mum into care today. Things went better than I expected so hopefully her life and ours will become a bit easier.
    Anyway, Iíll fit the new petrol tank and do a few other preparations soon so that we can set a date for you to come over to help me to refit the body.
    Really looking forward to that!
    Alistair

Looks like you have a lot of important stuff on your plate; but stay positive, keep plugging away

I am looking forward to the body fit - it's going to be live streamed on the internet, as a pay-per-view event, right?