Page 83 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Nova - time for a rebuild!

Have you tried to strip and rebuild the lock, it is quite easy. Done quite a few where I have had to recode the barrel to a key.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glasgowgolfer View Post
    looks awesome, great job Al...
    Thanks Dave ... but just to be clear, the last photo is Mostinís dash. Iíve got a bit more work to do on mine!

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Nice to see you tackling some fiberglass jobs Alistair, its really not so hard and you will feel a great sense of achievement once done .........oh and you'll also feel itchy once you've sanded the fibreglass
    To avoid the itchy's.... liberally apply baby power to all of your exposed skin surfaces. The baby powder helps to block your pores so fewer fiberglass particles can wedge their way in. Or, just cover up really good.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    To avoid the itchy's.... liberally apply baby power to all of your exposed skin surfaces. The baby powder helps to block your pores so fewer fiberglass particles can wedge their way in. Or, just cover up really good.
    Thanks Nic ... I am a bit itchy (you were right David!) so Iíll try the powder next time

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Have you tried to strip and rebuild the lock, it is quite easy. Done quite a few where I have had to recode the barrel to a key.
    Peter, I originally thought Iíd have to replace the whole mechanism shown in my photo but when I started searching for a replacement I found that I only need to replace the part where the keyís inserted ... so Iíve ordered that part and of course it comes with 2 new keys

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Peter, I originally thought Iíd have to replace the whole mechanism shown in my photo but when I started searching for a replacement I found that I only need to replace the part where the keyís inserted ... so Iíve ordered that part and of course it comes with 2 new keys
    Good result; cylinder and keys a lot cheaper than the whole thing for sure. I strip them down and change the tumbler slides to match the door and boot keys but no such problem with only one lock to worry about, I don't even have that, proximity immobilizer and button.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Had a most enjoyable afternoon with Phill today.

He brought his Nova over from Livingstone and we were joined by Dave Holland from Fife who got the dark blue Nova from the auction near Bathgate a couple of years ago (for nothing!!) and his friend George, a very knowledgable VW enthusiast.

I've uploaded a couple of short videos of Phill leaving. The quality's not great, but it's so good to see a Nova actually on the road! You can watch them at ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUBYRG3tkcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtpgH-iNFck

In the meantime, here's a couple of photos ....

Yes it was good to meet up and see the progress you've made on your car. It really won't be long now until it's finished, can't wait to see the end result. I reckon your car will be stunning when it's finished. The attention to detail in all the work you've done so far really shows. I also really enjoyed chatting with Dave and George, but most of all I really enjoyed the drive home as by then the weather had improved significantly from the drive up. And it's good to see the video of my car in action as I rarely get to actually see it being driven
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Dave Holland from Fife who got the dark blue Nova from the auction near Bathgate a couple of years ago (for nothing!!)

How did he manage to get it for nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    How did he manage to get it for nothing?
    The Nova went to auction twice and didnít get any bids. Dave does business with the auction house and they told him it he could take it away... otherwise it was going to be crushed. The chassis just needs floor pans, the engine turns over, and a reg number left inside means that he was able to find out from DVLA that it was recorded as SORNíd. Heís hoping to get it to the point that he could maybe take it to shows on a trailer next year

Itís still got a long way to go ... but what an amazing acquisition at a time when the scarcity of Novas is pushing prices up!