Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roof Hinge Assembly Measurements and comparisons inc Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Thinking about it on my drive home, the arms would be much better made from solid bar tapped M10 both ends and rod eyes used, it would eliminate the need for bushes all the welding and slots in the brackets, it would all be tweekable and would take any twisting stress out of the hinge. I also recall on the Sterling site someone not using the full length back support for the bottom ram mount, again eliminating body differences between cars or even opposite side of cars. The only reasonably questionable point then is the angle of the bend on the canopy bracket.

Dirk
    I had thought that the full length plate included the bottom mount for the rams so that the weight of the roof was not being supported by the bottom ram fixing point in the bodywork only when the rams were lifting it; i.e. that the plate would have given strength to push against rather than stressing a single body mount?

The cable is a fair point. Yes rod eye rose joints are the same thing but you shouldn't have any movement you would have an m10 bolt and spacers, the arms would be able to twist slightly but that would take any alignment preasure off the hinges.
    Dirk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post

Well there is definitely enough interest here to take this discussion andpossible buy further, especially if we can identify the differences betweenMK1and MK2
    Factors between the Mk's is any body work / roof differences and how they may affect the positioning of the brackets... as soon as I get a chance (I keep saying that, but work keeps getting in the way"!), I'll upload the photo's of my roof and body fixing points, as I think that would be interesting to see how different they may be between them and other bodies etc.

One thing I have found on my roof, is that although it seems to incorporate theangle change in the roof bracket, in order to have the roof in the correctposition when down, the bracket does not actually fit the change in slope inthe same place as the roof does - the bracket ends up mounted about an inchfurther forward so there is a gap between the angled part of the bracket andthe angled part of the roof.

This is further complicated by the fact that it seems to have had part of the front mounting area on the roof cut away, as after the slope (which is only about 100mm on the roof) the area flattens out again, and the bracket rests onthe front edge of that... a picture tells a story better...

Is this specific to my roof? (MkII)?

`¬)

P.S. more photos to come...
    Last edited by MartinB; 23-08-2016 at 07:04 AM.

This is the original MkII brackets;-

As mentioned, the brackets would not fit into the slope in my roof as this would mean the roof would not sit properly in the body; so not sure if I've just got an odd roof!

I will probably fit a packing piece in here and trim the small piece off the front of the roof were the bracket had rested. This probably explains why my original bracket had snapped at the weld on one side!

A couple of issues with my bodywork; the body mounting plates really must be horizontal (side to side) ie not tilting outwards or inwards, and parallel passenger side to drivers side otherwise the distance between the roof brackets will be different when the roof is up to when its down!

would be interested to know how other peoples bodywork sits; i.e. has anyone used packing pieces or needed to offset the brackets to get the parallel?

The one change I would suggest to the stainless hinges plate is as marked on the drawing; and that is to not make the plate wider than the MkII ones - again, has anyone else had this problem fitting the stainless ones?

SS;-

MkII;-

SS;-

MkII;-

Can anyone confirm that the issue with my roof and brackets on my body may be due to the roof and body brackets being mounted too far forward perhaps? Although the roof brackets cannot go much further backwards as they will then not be in the flat recessed area under the roof, and the mounting holes will not match with the recess on the inside upper part of the roof (i.e. were the bolts would go through from the top).

Anyway, that's my photos of the body and roof issues for now... `¬)

Very useful info Martin, unfortunately I personally cannot confirm much until I get back to the UK in one month. I was very surprised to see your Nova (now blue) started life in exactly the same green gelcoat colour as my nova (now blue also!).

I guess greens just went out of fashion, just don't tell Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I was very surprised to see your Nova (now blue) started life in exactly the same green gelcoat colour as my nova (now blue also!).

I guess greens just went out of fashion, just don't tell Lauren
    Its surprising how many now seem to have gone the blue metallic route! `¬) Not sure if it will stay that way, might end up a deep purple... I have a new set of carpets off ebay from some years ago which are brown - so will need to compliment them; definitely not going to have a brown car though!

A bit more done

Dirk