Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nova droop snoot

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I and my plan for this weekend is to prepare the fixings etc in the garage to enable me to suspend the body from the roof
    Having recently done this myself I highly recommend a block and tackle, nice easy one man job with fine adjustment. Dead easy to go up and down to check clearance and other things

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Thanks for the photo David. The challenge I've got is making sure I don't overload the roof ... I've already got the hulls and masts from 2 Unicorn catamarans (the sailing equivalent of the Nova in terms of a 1970's classic design!) suspended from it!
    Attachment 1914

Out of interest, David, what rating block & tackle is that? Or to put it another way....how heavy is a Nova body?

I would imagine one ratedup to 500kg would be enough...?

Also...would you say the body & roof together could be lifted...of would it be better to separate them?

P.
    cheers

Paul

Been contemplating the same question. Also the best lifting points to minimise distortion of the body. I'm thinking of using the seat belt mountings for the rear of the car and maybe the footwell air vents (but that would require removal of the dashboard .... however, I suppose it'll be coming out anyway). Main thing for me is that I want to protect the paintwork on the body.
    Alistair

There was a whole thread somewhere on lifting the body that I think I started, I can't seem to find it now. I personally lifted the car without the canopy just to be safe (but previously lifted and secured the body then slid the canopy on from the front afterwards so it was stored together, a two person job)

Two people can lift a Nova body (no canopy) so I suspect its more like 180KG, so yes a rating of 500 KG has plenty of lifting power to spare. As far as securing points go some go for under the arches, others as I did this time used the rear window tunnel / roll over section plus the side pockets. Will look for the thread on this again later

Thanks for your advice on this David.
    Cheers, Alistair

Thanks for the link, Bobby.

The idea of using rachet strap nis excellent! On reflection, I don't think I have the headroom in my garage for a chain winch, and I'm not 100% sure about the rafters' strength (50yr old 2x4s), so a strap at each corner, as opposed to a single lift in the center would-be a much safer approach, I think.

As a related asside, years ago I built an engine lift for my Wizard Roadster that consisted of 4 double washing line pulleys and a long length of 8mm rope, effectively making 2 interconnected block & tackle sets. I used this very successfully many times for mounting and in mounting the car's engine over the years. Potentially, one of these at each end of the body-shell could work too perhaps, though rachet straps would be much less faff to set up.

Cheers

P.
    Last edited by wizrod; 11-09-2016 at 09:04 AM.
    cheers

Paul

Thanks everyone for your help on this. What a fantastic forum this is!!
    Cheers, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post