Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nova droop snoot

Quote Originally Posted by wizrod View Post
    and I'm not 100% sure about the rafters' strength (50yr old 2x4s), so a strap at each corner, as opposed to a single lift in the center would-be a much safer approach, I think..
    My block and tackle mounts to a scaffolding pole above the rafters that spans four them to spread the load for that very reason. I didn't fancy having to repair a garage roof!

Quote Originally Posted by wizrod View Post
    The idea of using rachet strap nis excellent! On reflection, I don't think I have the headroom in my garage for a chain winch, and I'm not 100% sure about the rafters' strength (50yr old 2x4s), so a strap at each corner, as opposed to a single lift in the center would-be a much safer approach, I think.
    This is exactly what I did, supported by the wheel arches - no additional damage to report, although I had some crazing at the arch apex on a couple of corners already. Certainly doesn't appear any worse for it's carrying the weight, either in my dad's garage, or at Southways.
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

You may be surprised just how light the body (no canopy) is. I currently have Micksrednova MkII sitting on my shed floor, upside down & I carried it in there by my self! I'm hardly Mr Universe and well past my prime but I would guess it is somewhere around the 120kg mark. I may actually "borrow" the bath room scales & see if I can get a reasonably accurate weight.

I'll let you know.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Bushboy,

My garage is a mess! I need to tidy up (OK, I really need to throw a lot out!!) but I'm getting close to lifting the body. I bought a 500kg pulley system today with 4 straps so I'm raring to go. Just have to satisfy myself that the (already loaded roof .... it's holding a couple of catamarans!) has enough strength for the Nova too. I also bought some timber to provide temporary bracing to the roof trusses. Perhaps overkill, but I don't want to damage the roof!

Will post photos once I've separated the body and chassis

Cheers,

Alistair

I weighed the bare body shell this morning by using the bathroom scales. First the rear end and then the front. Add the weights together and it's 100kg or thereabouts. So give or take a bit for scientific error and if you rig is good for 200kg you shouldn't have any problems.

Bushboy
    Last edited by bushboy; 17-09-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    That's really helpful Bushboy .... at least I now know I've built in a generous factor of safety!
    Alistair