Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova data plate

Nova data plate

friends
    Please can scan or photograph
    data plate
    for these vintage
    Thank you for your help

1971 - 1973, Automotive Design & Development (AAD) Ltd, Woolston, Southampton, Hampshire, United Kingdom

1974 - 1975, Automotive Design & Development (AAD) Ltd, Accrington, Lancashire, United Kingdom

I don't have one of the right vintage but for comparison here is one from the Elam era.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    The ADD bodyshells were uniquely identified by laying Dymo tape into the moulds, imprinting the manufacturers data and serial number into the gel coat. The data is moulded into the panel inside the front compartment, on the drivers side (for a right hand drive car). There was no separate VIN plate for ADD cars. Later Elam cars, from around 1978 onwards, had a separate alloy plate (as shown above) with the details stamped on it and fixed to the bodyshell with pop rivets.

Some Elam cars (such as my example) had no obvious ID markings, either in the mould or on a separate plate. It is possible some shells were devoid of any identification, or the separate plate was removed for some reason.

Lauren

PS - for some reason ADD moulded a number of shells with serial number 125 on them. There appear to be at least half a dozen of this duplicate serial number kicking about.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Lauren,

You've solved the first mystery of the rebuild of my Mk2 (Elam) Nova. The guy I bought it from got the Elams to fix the body to the chassis he provided, and then continued with the rest of the build himself.

I've recently stripped the interior to start a full rebuild and found this aluminium plate with no markings on it. I was puzzled and frustrated ... but now I can relax! Thanks!

Alistair

20160923_224536.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Lauren,

You've solved the first mystery of the rebuild of my Mk2 (Elam) Nova. The guy I bought it from got the Elams to fix the body to the chassis he provided, and then continued with the rest of the build himself.

I've recently stripped the interior to start a full rebuild and found this aluminium plate with no markings on it. I was puzzled and frustrated ... but now I can relax! Thanks!

Alistair

20160923_224536.jpg
    Alister,

That plate is nothing to do with the VIN, it looks like to me its simply a cover made to hide a hole they made in the fibreglass to access the gear shift rod coupling into the gearbox

Thanks David. So where should I look for an identification plate? I suspect my Nova simply just doesn't have one, because I've never come across it. I got excited when I found this plate during stripping out, but as Lauren says, some Nova's just don't have them, so maybe mine's just one of them?

Cheers,

A

Here is my second Nova with the plate fixed exactly where it came from the factory, driver's side bulkhead under the bonnet. I believe that is also the place the ADD era Nova's had the moulded in serial numbers.

Hi David,

Nope, mine doesn't have a plate there, and I can't see one anywhere else. Looks like it's just one of those which didn't get one.

Cheers,

Alistair

My spare shell (also Elam era) has the marking NOVA/ TPM 0383 17 moulded into the gelcoat inside the front compartment just above the battery box. It's in reverse so I'm guessing was also dymo taped into the mould. No ideas what the numbers mean but I'm guessing it may be the date of manufacture (17/03/83 or 03/17/83)?

20160924_133133[1].jpg 20160924_131500[1].jpg

My project car (the one I'm building) is devoid of any marking as this section has been cut out for some reason

20160924_131743[1].jpg
    Last edited by Phill; 24-09-2016 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added a photo
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Alistair - I think Dave is right, the metal plate looks like an access cover for the gear linkage. It isn't particularly well finished and is larger than the factory ID plate. Although I removed large chunks of bodywork when I was building the Green Machine I'm sure I would have noticed any text moulded into the gel coat. If there ever was a factory build plate, it wasn't there when I acquired the car.

Hi Phill - I would say that the production date was probably March 1983. The 17 could signify the day of the month (St Patrick's Day?).

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!