Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

I did Mick - even got a spare set of electric ones and their loom as the MGF came with manuals - and their operating stick wouldn't work with where I was trying to place them. (wouldn have meant trilling through the stucture of the A-pillar and probably have them emerge into the dasboard!)
    They're nice, simple, shapely units but I found I couldn't get a view over the haunches I was happy with without them sticking up at a stupid angle - which is the sort of compromise that always shouts 'kit car' to me. The passenger side probably wouldn't have been obstructed by the A-pillar so badly, but I didn't get that far!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Slowly plodding along with the canopy mods - more or less got the T-top concept modelled now:

Getting everything smoothed out, ripple free and matching is laborious but quite therapeutic! (only the driver's side lift-out section is actually ripple-free, but I'm getting there...)

Adding between 40 and 50mm headroom (in the centre anyway) and I think (haven't done it so don't know yet) the underneath structure won't project down lower than the original roofline - so hopefully an overall gain!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Very impressive Alex! It must be taking a lot of your time ... good job you're finding it therapeutic!
    Alistair

Looking very good, I like the rain gutter. I find the body work sooooo booooring I think I am just very impatient. Keep up the good work.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking very good, I like the rain gutter. I find the body work sooooo booooring I think I am just very impatient. Keep up the good work.

Dirk
    You and me both, from doing my Dash I realised I loved designing the concept and dealing with the broad changes, but the final finishing and flatting to get rid of imperfections was soul destroying!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Alex, It's looking great, modifying the roofline is brave but you've pulled it off.
    The no (glass) sunroof look suits the Nova IMO,
    the removable panels give the best of all words (looks, ventilation & escape route), great work.

I seem to have missed posting some (well: all!) of the moulding photos (they must be on a card somewhere!) Here's one of the moulded roof panels let into the canopy:

And this is the first part of the canopy mod with channels. (I'm not taking the second skin layer away yet)

If you look closely in the middle you may be able to see how much extra head-room has been incorporated - though because the chassis has an ENORMOUS centre spine, head-room in the middle is mostly pointless!
    Now I know what I'm doing, letting in the passenger side only took half an hour (now I've got to make up all the channels....

Some excellent work there. It looks fantastic.

Dirk

Well done Alex
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Today I took the plunge and made loads of dust with the trusty multi-tool.

Both layers of original roof cut away, leaving the new roof line in place:

And with one panel layed in:

Sitting in the temporary seat made the whole process seem worth it, none of the claustrophobic tendencies of the old set-up, doesn't appear to threaten head contact anywhere and really easy to climb through

So now I have to tidy up the opening, pare away a little bit more of the old under-canopy (less than it looks in the photos) at the rear, then remove the whole lot, stand it up and glass the underside of the new parts to give it some strength, then sculpt the underside and the underside of each T-roof panel....