Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

Amazing just how many variations on roof/window there can be for the Nova canopy.
    The SS has different problems as mentioned by Alex and I have a rust free one but still not happy with it but time is my main enemy now.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Well I've bitten the bullet and foamed the roof surface (Sam's Mk4 canopy top seems very flexible compared with the rigidity of the Mk1 - doesn't have all the under bracing which gives more headroom of course). When that's all cured I can play about with the profile, and if I don't come up with anything I'm happy with, scrape it all off again with no harm done to the underlying GRP...... Tis chilly tonight, so it didn't expand too much, hope I don't go in tomorrow and find the foam 6 inches thick.... it can happen!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I've always thought that the 'door' mirrors draw the eye with the Nova and it's worth spending time getting them to look and function as you'd like. Looks like you have a well thought-out solution there.
    Good to see the chassis tube-work lurking in those pics, I don't envy the workload, but this is going to be quite a vehicle.
    Getting that lump installed is going to be a significant milestone in the project. Good work.
    Last edited by steve; 07-02-2018 at 08:41 PM.

The T-tops are great, especially in the summer, plenty of head room with them out. To take full advantage of them Alex, I strongly suggest that your hinged side glass is hinged on "rising buts" so you can remove them completely easily. Then you don't have to always open the roof in the summer to get in and out, just do it Bandit style.
    If you want any detailed photos let me know, else you will have to wait until Stones.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Fully agree about the side windows Bushboy! I guess some pics would be great if you had the time, as I seem to be steaming ahead - I thought I could wait until Stones but having some sooner might stop me re-inventing the wheel!

So: here's the progress with the sprayed foam on the oh-so-flexible flat roof section:

Decided it wasn't thick enough so added another layer

I should have remembered that it's much better to over-foam the first time rather than add to cured foam - a sit doesn't bond to itself brilliantly. I'll not make that mistake when I foam the rear panel....

Cutting back - probably could have managed with the first thickness, but nice to have plenty to play with. The less bonded first layer tends to fight the body-file a bit.

Generating loads of fine dust so living in a mask - begining to get where I want, and of course the rain-channel detailing over the side window now the wrong profile, so have to alter that as I go.... Iterational design.....

Good curve and runs nicely from the screen, but too high.... loose a load more....

Which gives something like this:

The voids are down to the second layer of foam, but since I've got to surface it all anyway, they don't really matter much. Next thing is to work out the shape/position of the removable panels, as they will affect the surfacing stage. The altered rain channels seem to work though.
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

To think we were all on tender hooks to hear how a Pie Valley chassis build was coming along .... and then we get added value like this! Keep it coming!
    Alistair

Looking good Alex, always nice to see people pushing the envelope and trying new design ideas.

The 2 part pour-able PU foam is much nicer to work with than the foam in the can stuff, plus it sticks to itself well on second pours and doesn't leave voids. Given its liquid though you do need to "contain" it. So on something like the roof you need to would tape a cardboard and tape ridge around the perimeter then peel off after its set.I realise its too late now for the roof, but you might like to experiment on other areas as you progress.
    Last edited by islandman; 11-02-2018 at 07:17 AM.

I'm fascinated by this process. It's good to see pictures showing how this is done. I'm assuming this will be the buck from which you will take a mould to produce a whole new roof panel? Keep it up Alex.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I'm fascinated by this process. It's good to see pictures showing how this is done. I'm assuming this will be the buck from which you will take a mould to produce a whole new roof panel? Keep it up Alex.
    That's the idea Phill, I think with the amount of reworking involved with the shell, I'll end up taking moulds of everything, at least that way things shouldn't move round as much as they do when there's large quantities of filler......

Nice update. Keep the photos coming.

Dirk