Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

Great to see you make a start Alex. will be reading post`s with interest along with Mick`s.

So with the soft top stretched and ready to fit to the 160, the wind-stopper, carpet and sound-deadening come off the rear parcel shelf, revealing a metal plate held on by lots of 10 mm bolts:

Viewed from the rear, it shows just how little room MG thought you needed for everyday access to the engine (makes the Nova's hatch look cavernous!)

Unbolt the cover and suddenly you have an almost sensible amount of K-series:

The circular opening is access to the electrical and fuel connections for the submerged pump in the tank.
    When you strip away the trinket boxes and carpet seen in the last photo, you find another bolted panel:

Behind which is a plastic sheet:

Behind which lurks the fuel tank. I finally get why you can't use it with the Pie Valley chassis - (I've only seen photos of it with nothing to give it scale before) IT'S HUGE!

Dashboard removal progresses:

The F steering column doesn't have the rake adjustment that the TF has as standard. Not sure if it will be that useful in the Nova, but I have a spare TF column so will see if they stuck with standard plugs when they face-lifted the models... Getting close to mechanical stripping now....
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Nice update and we all appreciate the step by step Photo diary to go along with it, I'm sure these will make their way into Ed's chassis build manual

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I like the random pattern pressing on the engine and fuel tank cover. Shame it is usually hidden from view!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Wow it looks like there is a lot of work on the MG's just to do an oil change, do you have to take that rear cover off to get to the dip stick as well? nice update keep them coming.

Dirk

The dipstick and oil filler are accessible by opening the boot lid along with the coolant tank but not much else!
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

Alex,
    Nice to see the pics & progress. The thing I like about stripping a car is the journey of discovery.

I have only ever worked on 1 K series engine and thought they were a nice little engine.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Shoe-horned in around second fix carpentering the neighbours barn conversion, the MG has got a little smaller. First to go was the front anti-roll bar:

And I'm noticing that bolts have been liberally copper-slipped so although the structure looks rough, things were maintained and generally come undone without too much swearing! I've discovered that an old set of 'Metrinch' sockets, which have weird 6-lobed splines do an excellent job on rust decayed bolt heads, they seem to 'cam-lock' on in a way that ordinary 6-flat ones don't.....
    Track-rod end off:

ABS hub sensor bolt head completely rotten, luckily lead has a plug up on the inner wing, so bolt can be surgically removed on the bench later

Pinch bolt and top ball joint released to free hub unit:

So now it's whether the lower wishbone is going to come off:

Front inner bolt is hidden under this piece of tape:

Removal of which shows an un-promising rusty bolt with poor access and instant thoughts of disc-cutting through the subframe:

But they've been there with the copper-slip, it comes out really easily, as does the rear bolt once the three bolts holding the rear subframe mount have been removed - it can't be taken out with the subrame attached.

So that side now stripped out, and amazingly the wishbone is in very good condition, obviously renewed not that many years back and all joints tight. Strip down and repaint on the list.
    Belly pan under the car's midriff. It's held on with 24 bolts, and is there to stiffen the underside and protect the cars delicate parts from attack by drain-living Ninja Turtles (possibly....)

Only three stubbornly rust worn bolt-heads, and the Metrinch sockets sorted those

The plate collects a lot of debris, adding the the MGs suprisingly heavy weight (about 1320 Kg gross)

Still got to pull the near-side wishbone, then about time I drained out the fluids next.....
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Wow, that looks really rusty. Its amazing how a car that cannot be more than 20 years old can get so bad, but I guess so few cars are garaged these days...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I was thinking the same thing. To me the MGTF is still a fairly recent car (showing my age) I was astonished at how bad it looks. (Worse even then my VW platform that I started with). Still, with a bit of cleaning and renewing of bushes, ball joints and braking components, it should all scrub up as good as new.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns