Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I'm assuming that the ECU from the blue TF will talk to it, and if not, it will if I swap the sensors off the poorly engine -as other than the electronic gizmos, surely the engine is dumb and inert (unless I'm hugely mistaken?) and that the F circuits won't understand it at all!

Whatever- they charged 100 notes for the complete unit as it came out, (I junked the alternator and air conditioning pump as the alternator is different and I won't be using aircon - they were getting in the way of removing it anyway!) and I collared the newly fitted starter motor as well.
    It should be fine Alex, as long as the engine sizes are the same/not hugely different it should run it. Let me know if you need any pointers on the ECU/immobiliser side of things, I have done a lot of work in the past on the rover alarm units as you may remember.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I'm assuming that the ECU from the blue TF will talk to it, and if not, it will if I swap the sensors off the poorly engine -as other than the electronic gizmos, surely the engine is dumb and inert (unless I'm hugely mistaken?) and that the F circuits won't understand it at all!
    I'm not an expert in this stuff, I just assumed that part of the way the engine produced its higher BHP versus the other variants was not just down to the few extra CC but was also down to the ECU mapping controlling timing, fuel mixtures and so forth

It is to a point, but the ECU will run the engine if the differences aren't huge. It won't run it well but it will run it. Ideal for testing purposes but not great for using on the road like that.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

Thanks Dan, I'm sure I'll be calling on you before too long!
    Point is, I'd be replacing a 160vvc with a 160vvc - (albeit from a ZR instead of a TF) so my assumption is/was the TFs ECU will just carry on as if nothing much has changed - except the overheating hopefully. The last owner had the head pressure tested, skimmed and new multi-layer head gasket and the damn thing still overheated, which was why they gave up. I've played with that engine a fair deal to see if they'd missed anything obvious, but it seemed that they hadn't, unless of course there was a fault with a piston liner....
    Last edited by Alzax3; 31-05-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

As long as you have the matched set from one of the cars then the engine will run fine as it's a like for like. ECU and the pektron control unit from the same car and you'll be fine, the trouble starts when trying to mismatch.

The liners need to be checked when replacing the head gasket on these engines, they do drop and need to be measured to ensure they are within tolerance otherwise issues will continue. Could well be the problem with the original engine you have.

Of course, if there was oil contamination in the coolant and the system wasn't cleaned properly that could also cause the overheating to continue.
    Last edited by bobbybrown; 31-05-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

I'd be replacing a 160vvc with a 160vvc - (albeit from a ZR instead of a TF) s
    Ah sorry for adding to the confusion and ongoing debate , I hadn't realised that it was basically the same, I thought you were opting for a larger higher bhp version. So as Dan says it should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Ah sorry for adding to the confusion and ongoing debate , I hadn't realised that it was basically the same, I thought you were opting for a larger higher bhp version. So as Dan says it should be fine
    My fault really for having a stable of cars and including thoughts on one of the potential donors in this thread!
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Well despite all the distractions, I've been tinkering on with the dismantling.

Spotted the car had a bent track control arm at the back:

TF pair came with the replacement sub frame, so no worries - may have made for interesting handling/tyre wear!
    Its bolt came out easily

As did everything else - leaving a bare driveshaft that side:

The otherside decided to fight, at which point I decided to make life easy and dismantle the body round the mechanicals:

And suddenly no tank

Having been hacking at the metalwork (sharpened SDS chisel with a trusty Bosch - couldn't be bothered to drag the compressor over there and use an air-chisel) I can see where all the weight is in these cars - and why they were so expensive - the jigs for welding all the miriad tiny panels together must have been amazing!

Still seem to have photos as of this morning! (I've been avoiding looking to save reloading everything....) Quite a lot of progress: stripped and cleaned the TF rear subframe back to bare metal (stupidly complicated shape, should have shot-blasted it really) trying out special epoxy chasis paint for it and all the suspension parts. Discovered that the rear suspension top arm inner bushes were both practically non-existent. New arms £105 each, B****r! Trawled around the forums and found that a replaceable bush is now available (£18 each) and to be sure of removing/refitting them, ordered a mahoosive hydraulic bearing-press for quite a lot less than the cost of one new arm.

Also -found a tatty but sound TF 135 (last version I hadn't tried - apart from the tiptronic one which I won't...) for sale locally. It came with full leather seats, recent head gasket and clutch and 4 months MOT for less than the seats go for on fleabay so that came home last week. Not quite as thrilling as the 160 on the road, definitely more pokey than the 115 - can't compare it with the MGF 145 as I've only ever driven that round the yard, and won't be able to again until the new Nova emerges.....