Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

Alex you're becoming the Imedla Marcos of the MG world

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Alex you're becoming the Imedla Marcos of the MG world
    I know, too many - but.......... no - I can't really think of an excuse!
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Well I haven't posted for a while, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been progress. Quite a lot of pictures in the camera to upload (drekly) (AND I see that at the moment all the Photobucket images are still there despite not paying the ransom!)

Been spending time on the engine, and replaced the clutch on principle. Probably didn't really need to do the plates but the thrust bearing was rough. Well worth removing the actuating arm, cleaning it up and greasing it, MGs are very prone to this arm going stiff or seizing due to corrosion, this one definitely had a tendency to stick if it was left sitting. Hooray for copper-slip! The thrust-bearing simillarly can be 'sticky' on its tube, so cleaning that up is a good idea.

I've been discovering that whilst F and TF parts are simillar, they are not always compatable - Rear hubs definitely not so, having not got the requisite holes tapped in them, plus some extra lugs of metal cast in. And F hubs without ABS sensors can be modified to take them, which involves flatting off an area of casting, drilling and tapping a hole, and swopping the really vestigal stub axle/end of drive shaft for one with the ABS rings on it. I still don't know whether I'll get the ABS to function, but I intend to give it a go as it's all there and the ECU will probably whinge if I remove it!
    Last edited by Alzax3; 02-09-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Alex,
    Nice to see your not sitting with your feet up.

I find this part of builds fascinating & frustrating all at the same time as you discover that they manufactures changed things part way through.

Thanks for the up date

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Well, having uploaded all the images I've got to get my head round where I was then bring the build up to date..... I was still chopping away at the metalwork when Photobucket got greedy:

And then all of a sudden there was no car:

Having got to grips with the new host site, I shall add more tomorrow, including several one-step forwards two-step back episodes...!
    Last edited by Alzax3; 08-09-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Nice to see the progress. looking forward to the next instalment.

Dirk

Interesting approach, looks like your chopping the metalwork away and leaving the components in situ and connected, as opposed to removing components from the metalwork.

Glad to see progress, won't be long before things start to get attached to the new chassis

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Interesting approach, looks like your chopping the metalwork away and leaving the components in situ and connected, as opposed to removing components from the metalwork.

Glad to see progress, won't be long before things start to get attached to the new chassis
    It seemed a simple way of keeping things 'semi-orderly' since the body was shot anyway! It's actually a fair bit further on, I just got out of step with the posting due to the demise of Photobucket as a useful partner..... And I wasted time mistakenly restoring F parts that were incompatible with TF suspension, or that came modified with the chassis but hidden in a box I hadn't investigated...

So to the more interesting stuff (if you like paint drying!)
    The Ebay'd TF rear subframe (the one that I patched the chopped out hole in at the beginning) got power wire brushed down to bare metal:

Probably should have had it shot-blasted but what the heck?
    Then two coats of epoxy chassis paint (I'll check the make and add it later - it got better reviews than por15) plus a finishing gloss coat as the epoxy was very matt.

The rear water rail looked dreadful (there are nice stainless ones available as a future upgrade - 2 or three different versions though depending on whether the car has a standard thermostat - pressure release thermostat or in line oil-cooler)

Depite the look, wire brushing brought it up a treat with no deep pitting and it got the paint treatment too.

Started stripping the engine to check, clean and paint external parts. Found one component that will need a replacement for piece of mind - will have to wait for a scrapper though as can't find it as a new spare:

It's the exhaust side cam gear, which on non VVC models is a sensible solid casting - VVCs have a rubber vibration damper, and this one had quite a few cracks - no idea if it really matters but I guess I'd prefer them not to be there!
    Clutch was reasonable, though the release bearing was rough - driven plate wasn't near the rivets but when I checked the local motor-factors had the kit on a bank-holiday offer which put it down to a 'daft-not-to-do' level.

Flywheel nicely smooth and un-scored:

New shiny clutch in place:

I'm interested to see the bodyshell you are using for this. Is it a MK1 or MK2?
    I assume you're not going to use the shell from your existing car
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns