Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    It was front and rear suspension towers that were the problem, both had a lot of extra metal. It also managed to loose all its brake fluid going down the hairpins at Hexworthy on Dartmoor - luckily the handbrake still functioned!
    Ohh my! Now that sounds like an adventure!

Yes, I remember with some fondness the outer sill on my Austin Princess peeling off like a banana skin as I went round a corner and scraping along the road making a terrific shower of sparks.

And then, there was my dear old light brown Marina (complete with darker brown vinyl-covered roof...). There was something quite poetic about watching it slowly dissolve to Fe(III)oxide in front of my eyes ...especially after the engine mounts gave way one day returning home from taking the kids to visit the in-Laws!

oh Happy days!

Cheers,

Colin

We were going to spend the morning extracting a 160 engine from a ZR in the local breakers, but it was far too wet - too old to be grovelling round in the grunge while it's peeing down, watching the time click towards the 12o'clock Saturday closing deadline. I expect they'll have crushed it by Tuesday If anyone hears of a 160 TF for sale (don't mind how scruffy the body is obviously!) as long as it has an MOT so I can drive it back (not equipped for trailering) I would be interested - plan would be to swap out the iffy one in the blue car, then know I had either a saleable decent car or a reliable full donor in the wings...
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    I heard that old fridges etc were recycled into cars, but the metal was so poorly refined that pretty much all cars made out of it fell apart..
    I think you might be referring to new cars actually!

I know there was a lot of talk about cheap re-processed Russian steel being used to make cars in the 70s, but to be honest you didn't need it to make a car rust. Alfasud bodies were built on the shore of the bay of Naples and the untreated shells were left out in the open before going into the paint shop. And nobody bothered with rustproofing in the those days so that was it - nice salty sea air under a fresh coat of paint. Job done. I'm sure Lancia were no different, even if they were made inland in Turin...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    I think you might be referring to new cars actually!

I know there was a lot of talk about cheap re-processed Russian steel being used to make cars in the 70s, but to be honest you didn't need it to make a car rust. Alfasud bodies were built on the shore of the bay of Naples and the untreated shells were left out in the open before going into the paint shop. And nobody bothered with rustproofing in the those days so that was it - nice salty sea air under a fresh coat of paint. Job done. I'm sure Lancia were no different, even if they were made inland in Turin...
    Oh I know our current cars are made out of reprocessed junk put into a new shape and that can have "interesting" side effects, but I recall something similar happening sometime around the 80's (I think!)

And I wouldn't know about motors in the 70's, I was too young to care about anything more than where the next bottle of milk was, where to sleep, or an over-full nappy