Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

Well there's been a lot of other projects getting in the way but I'm still putting in a bit of time on the Nova while I wait for the new front suspension parts.....

Following on from the pop-up lights I've been chuntering about side-lights and indicators - nothing useful to steal from modern cars, so I took a bit of inspriation from older cars and made up a unit to take round lights (73mm LEDs as sold by C.B.S.)
    Process as follows, I'm still playing with it and have to do it all again in mirror image for the other side....

All good alterations start with insulating tape! Won't bore you with the sculpting process... wind forwards a few days:

Unit let into newly cut recess

With the light closed. The tapes are distracting now and make it harder to see the run of the lines.

So there you go. incremental changes but small it's all progress of a sort.....
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Lookin' good Alex! ... and of course you'll need these for the IVA.

'Progress of a sort' is still progress! Well done!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    That looks very smart, are you keeping the ribs or are you going to make it smooth and flush?

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I like the way the lines flow between the the 2 light units, looking great - well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    That looks very smart, are you keeping the ribs or are you going to make it smooth and flush?

Dirk
    Thanks all - the ribs were deliberate - I looked at just letting the lights into the body panel, but thought there was too much 'smoothness' and not enough character. (I was tinking Miura which has a ribbed/finned surround to the pop-up headlight) Also since I'll end up taking a mould from the body when I've finished with the alterations - I thought flushed light tunnels weren't going to mould well (if at all!)
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Good work Alex.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Nice work Alex & as you skipped the sculpting section I take it that you used old school techniques and not a 3D printer

Look forward to your posts on the new project & showing off your fab skills.

Any chance of putting the lights in to show us a more finished look?

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"