Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

I get the feeling that the Nova's about to transform into the Supernova with the new chassis! I'll be watching with great enthusiasm. Best of luck Mick, etc.

Now there's been a bit of good weather and progress, it's time to get off Mick's thread and get on with mine! We got to un-wrap the chassis yesterday, and shift it into storage (don't want Didiocoys spotting it from the road and recycling it (one lot tried to remove our solar hot water panels from the yard while the builders were on the roof putting the brackets up for them! Actually that's about the only time we've had a problem in 30 odd years but I don't want to tempt fate!)

So with the wrappers off, this is what arrived beautifully packed from Ed's busy elves:

There's suspension components still wrapped up in bubble plastic, but you don't need to see them at the moment.
    This is the rather in-elegant likely donor:

Body too rusty to save, but great mechanics and a really crisp sounding VVC 145 HP engine.
    IF for some reason that one doesn't make the grade once stripped, there's this 160 waiting in the wings:

Nothing actually wrong with that one, the neigbour really doesn't want me to break it - it had a replacement head gasket/pressure test/skim and still overheated so I bagged it for the cost of the wheels and tires. As far as I could tell the overheating was down to airlocks and a restricted thermostat, but now it will idle and rev for an hour without going past half on the gauge. To really know I'd have to MOT is and run it about in road conditions - as I said it's a back up plan!

And these are the Trophy 16 inch wheels with the big 4 pot AP racing calipers that come with the top of the range MGs, If they look lost in the Nova arches, I'll alter the arches.....
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post

And these are the Trophy 16 inch wheels with the big 4 pot AP racing calipers that come with the top of the range MGs, If they look lost in the Nova arches, I'll alter the arches.....
    Simple fix, just fit bigger profile tires, a lot easier than modifying the arches

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Simple fix, just fit bigger profile tires, a lot easier than modifying the arches
    I was thinking exactly the same thing
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Wow- that chassis look incredibly strong- so robust and clearly well made!

Forget the chassis, I'm just envious of all that space you have to store stuff! If I had that much space I would have my own junk yard by now

....elves....I wish....

Forget the chassis, I'm just envious of all that space you have to store stuff! If I had that much space I would have my own junk yard by now
    Ummmmm that is kind of what happens......
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I will be watching both this & Mick's builds very closely. Hopefully lending the occasional hand with Micks as I have his replacement body & offered to assist with any body mods required.

At the moment Mrs Bushboy is feeling generous & has suggested that we may be in a position next year to join the Ed chassis club!!, Lets hope the feeling lasts.

However, I'd be wanting a V6 and prefer a North South arrangement rather than East West. Having a spare Mazda V6 & a Subaru 5 speed I might start day dreaming in earnest, just need the subahub!!!!

Looking forward to the first assembly pictures.

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I also would go the 60 profile route, much easier and more comfortable, as the owner of a modern car with 40 profiles I have to say I hate the bloody things, so hard and I feel every bump, pothole and speed bump on the road and with almost zero sidewall flex they also slid in the wet very easily too. My old BMW e30 is so much better, OK it doesn't corner on rails but that's only 1% of the time on the road.

I love that chassis, very similar to my design, which is all alloy and has cantilever rear suspension and inboard front coil overs and due to age and cash will never get built though.
    Last edited by Peter; 01-11-2016 at 12:31 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl