Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's new Nova project..... the saga begins!

I've set the rear subframe mounts to put the rear wheel centre slightly higher at the back compared to the front. Most builders will want the big/little wheel combo look, so this keeps the floor more or less flat. Lotus did a similar trick with the Elise - which uses either a 15 inch front/16 inch rear or 16/17 combination.

So, the Trophy wheels might need a slightly taller tyre at the back.

On the now sadly defunct MEV Nova the paint/body man attempted to give the Nova more grown up wheel arches, mainly to accommodate the 130mm discrepancy between the actual and advertised front track measurements...it looked OK from a distance. I'm sure you can do a better job, Alex!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to following this build thread! I think it's great that multiple builds are going on in parallel, which demonstrates strong confidence in the product. Just don't expect to be taken any more seriously by the public - mid-engine chassis or no, you will still be the butt of all the recycled Beetle jokes at car shows. Ask me how I know!

Another good way of increasing the rear wheel diameter is to fit wider rear tyres. I maintain the same rolling diameter on the Green Machine by using 185/65 x 15 at the front and 205/60 x 15 at the back. Using the same 60% profile front and rear gives a pronounced body rake with tyres just 20mm wider at the back. 225 or 235 section tyres would make even more of a difference.

How does the MG rear track compare with the Beetle? I find the one thing that brands a car "modern" is the lack of dish on the wheels. I know it is better for aerodynamics, but I find flat-faced wheels really uninteresting to look at. But that's just me being old-fashioned!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

The MGF track is 1410mm, about 120mm more than a Beetle.

But there's still scope for some deep-dish wheels - as you say Lauren, flatter faced wheels don't look right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Or I guess the matching pattern 17" MG wheels could be fitted at the back... I've never really been a fan of mis-matched wheels but I guess if the chassis design calls for it that's the way I'll have to go!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Don't worry Alex - it's not a huge difference, 15mm or so, you can make it up with tyre size and use the same diameter wheels front and back. I didn't realise there was a matching 17 inch wheel though.

I need to send you some pedals and a gearbox mount!

Ed

And there are some AP racing brake calipers here with your name on them.....
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Not really much progress as life keeps getting in the way, but did spend the morning getting frozen, repeatedly hailed on and soaked while we extracted a stainless steel exhaust system from a VVC F in our local scrappy... Not an easy job when you can't undo the manifold to down-pipe bolts - but I now know that it is just possible to get the manifold and down-pipe out as a unit as long as you remove the alternator and oil filter and abandon hope of getting the lambda sensor out undamaged .... I just hope it isn't a horribly noisy system - the muffler box is as big as the original steel unit, but may not have much in it! They continue as my favourite breakers as they only charged £20 for the system including a reasonable looking cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    They continue as my favourite breakers as they only charged £20 for the system including a reasonable looking cat.
    If it wasn't so far I would love to come and nose around that breakers

Finished renovating running MGs, and in a rare time space finally got to do a bit towards the new car - only a small bit but it's progress of sorts!

This is a TF rear sub-frame, sound but with surface rust. I aim to use an F donor, so using this allows grown up shock absorbers instead of the hydra-gas spheres:

This is what the little access hole for the suspension bolt should look like:

And this is what the one on the nearside looks like:

Butchered presumably so somebody could get a ring spanner on the end of the bolt instead of running a socket on an extension down the frame through the large hole provided for the purpose...
    Ruined section chopped out (I love these 1mm angle grinder discs!) Good thick steel still:

And patched with a good sound bit of steel:

Just have to send of for some decent chassis paint and set to with the powered wire brush now! (I said it was small progress....)

Also investigated the larger MG multi-spoke wheels - unfortunately the 17 and 18 inch rims use 4 x 100 pcd, while the F and TF use 4 by 95.3 - b****r!

Progress is progress how ever small. Nice repair job.

Dirk