Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    join the queue!! I've got the rack and special brackets, but missing all the other fittings. I'm hoping it can be done with a body on! (Blue Nova)

VW Polo MK2 86C
    If your are going to use the bolt on steering rack bracket, yes, you can. Not sure about the Nova, boot to frame clearance but on the SS I had to drill four holes to access the four bolts for the beam and fit rubber grommet bungs.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Folks, Thanks for the interest in the R&P Set-up I'm using.

It is a bolt on solution, BUT there is some fun and games involved getting the Polo Mk2 parts, track rods, etc.

I posted about the basic set-up here (below), And, as there is interest in this I will add some further info asap, I need to dig up some part numbers and other details first:

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...-Polo-86C-Rack

Blog Entries
    The other day we were talking about pressure testing brake lines prior to bleeding/filling them for the first time. My clutch lines are torqued-down and ready to use, and I have found a simple way to do a low pressure (20 psi) test, I got the idea from the Eezibleed kit I purchased yesterday.

I am aware that this is a basic check and the real world pressure in a clutch/braking system is much higher. This is a check there are no loose joints, faulty connections or faulty hardlines, just to give me some confidence before I fill-up the system for the first time.

To set up the test, all I had to do was drill an 11mm hole in the clutch reservoir lid and fit a motorcycle tyre valve, then I pumped up the system to 18 psi with a bike pump.
    20mins later and the clutch pipes held pressure; I released the bleed nipple on the salve cylinder to a Whoosh of air. Good result.
    Before leaving the garage I pumped the system to 20psi, we'll see if it holds overnight.
    I'll use the same test (same lid) on the braking system(s) when they are ready to test.

I bought one of those kits so I did not have to ask my mrs to help me in the man cave.
    Perfect isolation 👍😂

Blog Entries
    During the dry build, the angle of the pedals didn't seem right, they were angled too far back (i.e. not enough travel before the pedal hit the front bulkhead) I bought some extenders for the Master cylinder 'stems' (Top pic, with spanner is sitting on it) to push the pedals more forward. But then they were too far forward, hitting the end-stops and the master cyl pistons didn't travel their full stroke.

Anyway, I cut down the stems on all three Master cylinders by 13mm (bottom pic shows just the clutch done), the pedals are now more upright and I have a few mm of adjustment via the extender that I didn't have before.

Another bonus is that I can move the driving position 1 inch further forward.

As you have the same pedal setup as me I'll have to look into this myself once back

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    As you have the same pedal setup as me I'll have to look into this myself once back
    Hi Dave,
    You can also buy extended push rods, which is probably a better way of making the same mod.
    The Master Cylinder push rod can be changed-out without pulling the entire cylinder apart, so could even be done in-car with fluid in the system (remove the circlip under the rubber gaiter).

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3554

I like this pedal box because it is flexible and parts are readily available. The Nova's lack of space and accessibility to the footwell makes maintenance a real pain, even at the chassis build stage it's awkward to work on as all the parts cover each other off.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Dave,
    You can also buy extended push rods, which is probably a better way of making the same mod.
    The Master Cylinder push rod can be changed-out without pulling the entire cylinder apart, so could even be done in-car with fluid in the system (remove the circlip under the rubber gaiter).

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3554

I like this pedal box because it is flexible and parts are readily available. The Nova's lack of space and accessibility to the footwell makes maintenance a real pain, even at the chassis build stage it's awkward to work on as all the parts cover each other off.
    Thanks for the link Steve

Great link, bugger! I went to all the bother of making some from coach bolts, think I will invest in three 'proper ones' very soon.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Final fit of the Empi Rear disk Calipers:

One glitch (which occurred on both sides) the disk fouled against the inner face of the caliper (top Pic),
    this was fixed by swapping the inner and outer 'spacer' washers shown, which pushed the cailper out a few mm, from there, I used 1 thick 'shim' washer, supplied with the kit, to get it central.

The brake lines and Handbrake cables have been fitted.
    The handbrake cables are supplied long (in the Empi kit) you cut them down and screw in the end points.

The rear brake system passed a quick 'Air Pressure' test of ~25psi, very happy with that. I re-pressure'd again overnight and I'll re-check tomorrow.