Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Truth
    No idea, but they are bigger than VW calipers so larger pistons means larger volume to fill behind.. and a larger cylinder will push more fluid to fill the space.....I hope 🤞

I do not know the piston size either, but with .625 calipers I can lock the brakes now.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Brembo lists them as 45mm Diameter. Hmmmm

CITROËN OEM 95498696
    https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts/brembo/7779072

Beetle Caliper pistons are 40.4mm. So nearly 5mm larger diameter.
    I know someone out there would be able to work out the maths of how much extra volume of fluid you would need to move the larger piston the same distance as the smaller one ......

Blog Entries
    Well, there is never a rocket scientist around when you need one. I have done the calculations for Mark's setup;

Moving from 40.5mm diameter caliper pots, to 45mm pots, requires 24% more fluid to move the calipers a given distance.

Moving from 0.625inch master cylinder bore diameter, to 0.7inch diameter, increases fluid flow by 25% for a given movement of the brake pedal.

So when you upgraded the caliper (only) to 45mm pots, it required 24% more pedal travel to apply the brakes; those were the symptoms you mentioned (and as Peter implied you had 24% mechanical advantage gain).

Moving to a 0.7 master cylinder, you are now back to the ~same Pedal travel you had with the old setup (40.5mm pots and 0.625 bore) - which is what you wanted.

This whole scenario is a compromise and there are pros and cons to whatever change you make.
    Overall you now have lightweight, more modern calipers, bigger brake pad contact area, same mechanical advantage as before, same pedal travel as before. It's a win.

In all cases the calculations above were made by deriving the area of the circle (be it a pot or bore) and working out the percentage difference between the old and new kit.

Wow, that is some update !
    Box all fitted back in yesterday and systems bled so hopefully may get a cheeky test down my lane, which has now dried out ...

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    ....... so hopefully may get a cheeky test down my lane, which has now dried out ...
    How’s about asking a family member to shoot a short video for us all to help boost morale in these difficult times Mark?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    How’s about asking a family member to shoot a short video for us all to help boost morale in these difficult times Mark?

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Wow, that is some update !
    Box all fitted back in yesterday and systems bled so hopefully may get a cheeky test down my lane, which has now dried out ...

+2 .....LOL . It would be a treat to see the Princess moving on the ground as opposed to 2 feet up in a trailer

I was thinking 3/8" for the 4 pot Wilwoods was a bit small but don't know if using 7/8" is going to help much.
    8 x 1.25" pistons

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl