Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking really good.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

So many holes to choose from Steve !

Blog Entries
    I have a new-old-stock Polo steering rack, which is probably a few years old; the concertina boot rubber had hardened and would slip off its mount at 'full lock'. The other boot was cracked. I purchased a replacement Febi unit which included a sachet of grease, and the proper metal securing clip, a bargain at £7 (Ebay).
    I replaced both boots and applied a shed-load of grease.

I am prepping for my chassis build (the Chassis is due back from the painters this week) I have a torque wrench and the pic is me checking the calibration using a handle scale (the type you use to weigh your suitcase before a flight), surprisingly no adjustment needed after gathering dust in the garage for >5 years.

I am not sure what to do WRT torqing up the Chassis bolts.
    I don't believe the stock VW Torque settings still apply, so I'm thinking that I'll use the default torque values based on the size of the thread (M10, M12 etc) any thoughts?

R&P

Looking good, so much easier when starting with a body off.

As long as the pull is exactly 1 foot from center of socket it will be correct for Ft/Lbs, good way to check torque wrench, so many are waaaay out after being abused. Std setting would be fine, I must admit I rarely use a torque wrench these days, so used to 'feeling' the right torsion.

Nice looking rack, they are very good and give a nice light feel even with wide tyres. I used a Citroen C15 one which is very similar but has two mounting lugs and avoids the external rod connection , rod are still long enough with anti-bump bushes to do a good job.

That rack has a hydraulic power version which can be used with the VW/Porsche electric power steering pump, (as I have in my Mercedes A170).
    Love the detail of the discs..C15 rack.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 09-12-2019 at 12:14 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Steve, I just had a sneaky peak at your online photos and whilst I don't want to steal your thunder .... you must be feeling great, it looks fabulous!!
    Alistair

Blog Entries
    The chassis is back in the garage after being painted, the work was done by Kirk Coachworks in Cambridgeshire, who are the same guys used by Flatlands - I am very happy with the results.

Its painted in 2-Pack, with the exposed areas, frame head, rear forks, trailing arms done in Stonechip.
    Some misc chassis bits were done as well (Pic) as was the front beam.

The main tube, was filled/sanded before painting to remove the welding 'scars'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Steve, I just had a sneaky peak at your online photos and whilst I don't want to steal your thunder .... you must be feeling great, it looks fabulous!!
    Alistair
    Good to see you are following the build Alistair

Looking very shiny, they do some great work

It looks very nice, was there a reason going for 2-pack paint over powder coating?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    It looks very nice, was there a reason going for 2-pack paint over powder coating?

Dirk
    I can't speak for Steve, but I originally wanted to powder coat mine, Flatlands talked me out of it. Some of their logic was if it chips you get water ingress beneath the surface that starts the rot process, they are other reasons relating to it being harder to achieve a show quality finish. There were more but I can't remember them all now, bottom line I went with their recommendation