Page 82 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

I’ve been thinking along similar lines with regards to placement of the fuse box on my scooby nova (final fuel tank design and space permitting). The one thing that I didn’t want to have to do is remove the rear window tunnel each time, so I’m thinking along the lines cutting out a section of the tunnel material where the fuse box is placed, recessing the panel in with a recessed double butt joint so that it can be secured down and stay flush. That way I just remove that panel to access the fuses rather than the whole tunnel.

Sounds like a good idea, couple of dzus fasteners maybe?
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Once you start crimping, you just can't stop.
    I connected the battery, turned the red 'key' on the starter panel and a light came on (pic), not the most challenging bit of wiring, but it feels good to see it glowing brightly...
    The starter motor and fuel pump are also wired-in and tested. That is as far as I want to go with the wiring for now.

I am waiting for my custom Steering UJ to be made (2+ weeks), ditto the rear X-member (to run between the tops of the rear shocks) due next week.

The next milestone is the Engine. I have a VW Type 4 engine sitting in the garage, it needs recon, and I have a DTM cooling system (i.e. the fan housing is upright ~similar stance to the Type 1 Beetle lump) which will need fitting, plus a fuel injection conversion. There is a lot to do there and I'm thinking I will get the engine running on Carbs first and do the FI conversion as a separate exercise, we'll see.

When type iV engines were mentioned a while ago, I did some searching about the type iv engine with carbs and injection fitted; On one forum (and I'm sorry I don't remember were... if I find it again I'll post), that for the 'standard' VW type iv injection engine, if converting to carbs they never ran quite right unless the cam was changed, and vice versa - not sure if you are looking at the original bosch injection system or an after market, in which case it may not apply?

Blog Entries
    These are the seats I'm using, they have a nice carbon fibre 'gloss' look to the front,
    but I'll need to stay off the lard pies to fit into them.

The back and return edges of the seats are a bit rough so I'm thinking that I'll sand down & fill where needed, then use a flowcoat to take the bad look of it.

For the front I plan on using Velcro or adhesive (thin) foam pads for cushioning, maybe Alcantara(?), I'm thinking of a custom design something like this:

Has anyone had any seat upholstery or custom work like this done? any recommendations?

If memory serves, Casey Putsch on youtube's creating a completely custom car and due to its design, he resorted to screwing the seat pads down rather than using sticky or velcro pads.

In the same note, I've used sticky patch repairs on torn apholstry and while it works for a while, they're a short term fix since they will either peel or fall apart...
    I even tried some commercial grade fabric tape that costs over £40 a roll and while that particular tape's adhesive worked, the actual fabric gave up after a while, so I eventually resorted to stitching a proper patch to fix the damage.

I'm certainly not a fan of using velcro to hold the pads down due to the above problem since the glue used to fix most velcro strips/pads never truly sets and is notorious for moving in undesirable ways, let alone the issue of how I've never had any long term luck with any velcro fixings, where both parts invariably fail over time.

With this in mind, I would suggest either screwing or using some strong adhesive to bond the seat pads down or you'll find they move and you'll have a bugger of a time cleaning the mess off to re-fix or replace the pads.
    Last edited by Gaisa; 12-11-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    If memory serves, Casey Putsch on youtube's creating a completely custom car and due to its design, he resorted to screwing the seat pads down rather than using sticky or velcro pads.

In the same note, I've used sticky patch repairs on torn apholstry and while it works for a while, they're a short term fix since they will either peel or fall apart...
    I even tried some commercial grade fabric tape that costs over £40 a roll and while that particular tape's adhesive worked, the actual fabric gave up after a while, so I eventually resorted to stitching a proper patch to fix the damage.

I'm certainly not a fan of using velcro to hold the pads down due to the above problem since the glue used to fix most velcro strips/pads never truly sets and is notorious for moving in undesirable ways, let alone the issue of how I've never had any long term luck with any velcro fixings, where both parts invariably fail over time.

With this in mind, I would suggest either screwing or using some strong adhesive to bond the seat pads down or you'll find they move and you'll have a bugger of a time cleaning the mess off to re-fix or replace the pads.
    Good info there, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Good info there, thanks.
    No problem

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Good info there, thanks.
    Adding to the ‘not a fan of Velcro/glue’ team I would also add that with the size of a Nova screen the interior does get pretty warm on a day parked in the sun. On mine the dash corners where the vinyl was wrapped and glued did peel away post Carfest display, and a few other small bits lifted in time which my trimmer kindly repaired pre sale. He used a top quality heat rated glue first time but the repetition of heating and cooling does eventually cause failures. So I would go for a more permanent solution if possible.

Jim beat me to it, be careful about what you glue in a Nova especially if its going to have movement on it it. This photo was taken on the second trip to Castle Combe (say no more about that!!) bare in mind that the Avante has a few inches of opening side windows and I was driving down the motorway it still got very hot.

Dirk