Page 83 of 85 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

I hope I don't have too many problems heat wise in the cockpit, I stretched and stapled the black alcantara cloth to the wood of the dash, (another reason I use wood) rather than glue as it can be more than 40 degrees in the shade here let alone in the sun under a screen.
    I have a temp/clock unit in the headlining so it will be interesting to see what it reaches.
    FINAL IN.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 13-11-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I’m prepping the seats for flowcoat, I like these seats, but the build quality in some areas isn't great.
    I have sanded-off the back and sides and return edges, removed lots of globby mastic, where it appears to have been applied by a 6-year old.

The seat is made in 2 halves. I cut away 1-2cm from the underside (lower half, under your knees) where it was a real mess, and filled the gap between the 2 halves with Unibond polymer adhesive/sealant, its looking better but I shouldn't need to do this on what is an expensive seat.
    There are also some air holes in the underside gelcoat that need filling.

The other (white) seat I am using during the build is of similar mediocre quality.
    Before and After Shots:

I have had some Chassis Tabs made, these attach to the rear shock towers, the plan is to link these (through the rear bulkhead) to a roll cage inside the car.
    I might use them to brace the fuel tank as well, we'll see.

Blog Entries
    I went to see the body in storage on Wednesday, I was bringing up the Seats to be flowcoated.

I also wanted to check the fit of the new rear panel, this is from poly-creation.eu, the new panel fits well enough. I always thought the Elam Mk1 rear panel was bonkers. They made the central section resemble the lunar surface after a meteor strike, with no discernible way to attach the rear bumper panel. I think this poly-creation offering will suit the look of my car, and match the Noreca Moon GT headlights up front.

someone asked about Actuators the other day, this is my install:
    On one side, the body needed a section removed to clear the motor. The bottom mount of the unit is bolted to the base of the body recess, the 'glass there is very thick. There are other ways to install actuators, I wanted the piston arm to meet the hinge spigot at 90 degrees (second pic down)

I removed the dash base while I was up there and brought it home, the scalloped out sides are for actuator clearance. I am going to add a shelf (centrally) underneath, for the fuse box and make provision for cables (conduit) running in and out to all sides, access will be from above, I'm thinking a 3D print lid above the centre console.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    That rear panel looks really great Steve. I don't think I've ever seen one of poly-creations' rears on a Nova before. Looks like it should have good engine coverage too, with that subtle drop in the centre. Have you any thoughts on where your exhaust pipe(s) would be located?

I'll probably stick with my hydraulic pump for the canopy (assuming it still works?) but I'm intrigued with the interest in actuators from several folk on the Forum. If it turns out that my pump's dead actuators may be an alternative to a new pump. My query is ... do they work precisely in unison, or independently, ie can you ensure that the canopy doesn't have one side rising at a different rate or timing from the other?

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    That rear panel looks really great Steve. I don't think I've ever seen one of poly-creations' rears on a Nova before. Looks like it should have good engine coverage too, with that subtle drop in the centre. Have you any thoughts on where your exhaust pipe(s) would be located?

I'll probably stick with my hydraulic pump for the canopy (assuming it still works?) but I'm intrigued with the interest in actuators from several folk on the Forum. If it turns out that my pump's dead actuators may be an alternative to a new pump. My query is ... do they work precisely in unison, or independently, ie can you ensure that the canopy doesn't have one side rising at a different rate or timing from the other?

Alistair
    That's a neat rear panel I remember seeing one before and saving the photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

That rear panel does look better than the standard. Thanks for the photo Mike.

Steve do you have any shots of the panel on other cars also?
    What car are the rear lights from?
    Did the central panel come with the rear end also?
    Last edited by islandman; 21-11-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

Alistair

No thoughts on the exhaust pipe Alistair, but good question on the Actuators. I was tinkering with the roof on Wednesday, it is quiet, smooth and pretty quick, the roof raises level. However there is nothing to ensure that both actuators operate at the same speed. They are well engineered pieces of kit and they lift the roof squarely.
    Linak who make the Actuators, have an optional fitting to 'sync-up' multiple actuators, however it makes the actuator more bulky and the wiring more complex, so I am not using it.
    If one actuator failed, or started running a lot slower, that would be a problem and might even damage the hinges or canopy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    That rear panel does look better than the standard. Thanks for the photo Mike.

Steve do you have any shots of the panel on other cars also?
    What car are the rear lights from?
    Did the central panel come with the rear end also?

Hi Dave,
    I don't have other pics, I just liked the look of the panel and took a punt and ordered one in black from poly-creation. TBO I don't know what lights will fit, the light recess is 165mm.

Interesting to see Mike's photo, the panel does not come with the central grill as shown in the pic, I plan on having that area open with a mesh or somesuch to vent the engine bay.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    No thoughts on the exhaust pipe Alistair, but good question on the Actuators. I was tinkering with the roof on Wednesday, it is quiet, smooth and pretty quick, the roof raises level. However there is nothing to ensure that both actuators operate at the same speed. They are well engineered pieces of kit and they lift the roof squarely.

Linak who make the Actuators, have an optional fitting to 'sync-up' multiple actuators, however it makes the actuator more bulky and the wiring more complex, so I am not using it.
    If one actuator failed, or started running a lot slower, that would be a problem and might even damage the hinges or canopy.
    I reckon if you can engineer 2 exhaust pipes to position them at the outside of the panel or just inside where the rear wheels would be it would look fine. Main thing is that such a good looking rear panel deserves 2 exhausts rather than just 1.

If your roof raises quiet, smooth, pretty quick & level as you say (I don't doubt you!) I wouldn't worry, just go with it. However, if over time problems of synchronization develop, then I'd look at the wiring to ensure the actuators get the power at precisely the same time. I don't know if anyone has put up a video of activators in action ... don't feel that there's any rush (I've not touched my Nova for several months!) but it would be great if you could post a video of your actuators raising and lowering the canopy so that we could compare with our old fashioned hydraulic pumps ... you might just persuade me (and a few others) to change!

Great work on your build once again

Alistair

PS ... mesh in the rear panel gets a big from me!
    Last edited by BlueNova; 22-11-2020 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

Make sure both are fed from the same fuse, so if one fails it blows the fuse and both stop, as opposed to one continuing and twisting the canopy