Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering another Nova project..

Considering another Nova project..

Some of you may recall I bought a project car six months or so before I bought the car I have recently finished restoring. So now my thoughts are beginning to return to the original project car which is basically just a complete set of bodypanels missing only the rear louvre but without a screen, side glass or a V5c (In fact it doesn't even have a floorpan as this is long gone so no means of identifying the original registration with the hope of obtaining another V5.

So my thoughts are turning to re-bodying a standard Beetle as my understanding is this can produce a road legal car without the need to go through IVA testing. Simply re-register the car as a rebodied Beetle. Providing no modifications are made to the floorpan (Floor drop,handbrake shortening, gear stick relocation). I beleive the resulting car would be an easy build and simple to make road legal (though it would not qualify as a historic vehicle). Something like this would be a suitable donor :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volkswagen-beetle-classic-beetle-bug-1971/254472159004

The main items of expenditure would be a screen (£1000), engine (£500) and wheels (£500), however I am considering building it as an open top car with a cut down screen area employing a low level acrylic wind deflector in place of a screen. This solves two problems, the lack of headroom in a car without a modified floorpan, and the subsequent cost saving of not having to buy a screen.

If only I was retired and had the time

What do you think guys - any flaws in my plan?

"The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Phill,

I see the Beetle's not that far away and from the photos the chassis looks reasonable ... tempting!

Any flaws in your plan? ...

I'm not sure about the 'open top' ... remember we get 4 seasons in 1 day up here in Scotland!

Would the original location of the gear lever interfere with the dash? I suppose you could modify the dash to suit, but could you actually reach the gear lever in a relatively reclined position? It would be worth mocking it up in your road-going Nova.

Is your project Nova a Mk1 or a Mk2? I'm just thinking that the additional headroom in the Mk2 would help if you kept the canopy since you wouldn't be dropping the floorpans.

... or you could just wait until you've retired and save a bit more money in the meantime? Assuming Alex and Mike have got their (Pie Valley) Novas through the IVA and on the road by then, you could just follow their example.

The key thing is ... either way, have you factored in the divorce?

You can take the man out of the Nova, but you can't take the Nova out of the man!!

Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    As you know I have always loved the idea of doing a Nova Spyder, along similar lines to the Isdera Imperator 033i. With no windscreen you can get away without wipers or washers, or demisters. Biker leathers and a full-face helmet and you are all set!

Given that the windscreen is a significant mass, together with the double-skinned roof panel, the resulting car should perform better too, even with a standard Beetle engine.

I look forward to seeing the results!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Although I have not been on this site for a good few years I do look in to see what you are all doing, however, I felt it time to login again as I have seen some absolute rubbish stated about legalities of vehicles and BIVA (IVA is not for kit cars anymore).

To the OP
    This is not the case
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    (though it would not qualify as a historic vehicle).

If you were to obtain a complete running beetle (even one needing restoration) that has not been modified you are legally able to get that car into historic category, THEN you do the body swap and the "new vehicle" is still tax exempt but you would need to get it mot'd each year.

The stages you will need to go through are as follows:

1) Buy said beetle and get it registered in your name.
    2) Insure said vehicle and go to the post office to get the tax, here you will be asked if it is modified but in reality they possibly won't bother and just send off the V5c to DVLA with historic written on it. It is considered easier if you get an MOT on it before this point but should not really need it as the vehicle is over 40 years old but others that I know have gone this route have indeed had the vehicles MOT'd just as a precaution.
    3) Wait for the V5c to be returned to you and ensure that taxation class is Historic
    4) Take photo's of the beetle as it is front and back with the number plate clearly showing.
    5) remove existing beetle body and take more photo's of just the chassis, again with the number plates clearly showing.
    6) Put your new body onto the chassis and take more photo's front and back, with the original number plates clearly showing.
    7) Fill out form V627/1 and send with a photo's to DVLA. You keep the original registration and the tax exemption as it is all within the 8 points rule.

Note:: the new V5c will have a different make/model of vehicle so you can basically call it anything you like but I believe that it still has to start with Vokswagen but after that you can call it anything.

ONLY send off one photo of each stage, (with number plate showing) DO NOT send too much information, wait for them to ask for further information if required, give too much beforehand and they ask more difficult questions.

Good luck.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Birds Car View Post
    Although I have not been on this site for a good few years I do look in to see what you are all doing, however, I felt it time to login again as I have seen some absolute rubbish stated about legalities of vehicles and BIVA (IVA is not for kit cars anymore).

[...]
    Well that was useful, but you should call us out on any duff info you have seen on the site.
    We haven't had one of 'our' cars go through an IVA (sorry BIVA) so we interpret the rules and owners go ahead with expensive & lengthy builds based on what they believe the DVLA regs are.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Interesting.
    In truth it is all about the fact that it is a chassis based kit car.
    For the lomax that I have just built, I had the chassis and V5 for a 2Cv.
    I got the V5 in my name, then changed the engine recorded with an engineers letter to show it now had a guzzi engine fitted.
    The built the car with a lomax body fitted.
    Once fitted I then mot’d the vehicle.
    With a recorded mot I sent some photos along with build receipts to DVLA requesting the change the vehicle form Citroen 2Cv to Citroen lomax.
    All amended within about 4 weeks.
    Simples 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Big Birds Car View Post

To the OP
    This is not the case

If you were to obtain a complete running beetle (even one needing restoration) that has not been modified you are legally able to get that car into historic category, THEN you do the body swap and the "new vehicle" is still tax exempt but you would need to get it mot'd each year.

The stages you will need to go through are as follows:

1) Buy said beetle and get it registered in your name.
    2) Insure said vehicle and go to the post office to get the tax, here you will be asked if it is modified but in reality they possibly won't bother and just send off the V5c to DVLA with historic written on it. It is considered easier if you get an MOT on it before this point but should not really need it as the vehicle is over 40 years old but others that I know have gone this route have indeed had the vehicles MOT'd just as a precaution.
    3) Wait for the V5c to be returned to you and ensure that taxation class is Historic
    4) Take photo's of the beetle as it is front and back with the number plate clearly showing.
    5) remove existing beetle body and take more photo's of just the chassis, again with the number plates clearly showing.
    6) Put your new body onto the chassis and take more photo's front and back, with the original number plates clearly showing.
    7) Fill out form V627/1 and send with a photo's to DVLA. You keep the original registration and the tax exemption as it is all within the 8 points rule.

Note:: the new V5c will have a different make/model of vehicle so you can basically call it anything you like but I believe that it still has to start with Vokswagen but after that you can call it anything.

ONLY send off one photo of each stage, (with number plate showing) DO NOT send too much information, wait for them to ask for further information if required, give too much beforehand and they ask more difficult questions.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the detailed advice. This is pretty much as I understood it, however I thought I could probably defer the registration process until after I had completed the build. From what you are saying I should register the car in my name and apply for historic vehicle status before undertaking the build?

Meanwhile here is a rendition of the concept of an open top "Spyder" version of the Nova. Finished in Lime Green for Laurens benefit.

spyder2.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hehe - you may also remember I did my own rendering, many years ago...

Subsequently I determined that the combing around the cockpit would have to be a bit lower to ensure visibility over the top, and I thought about glazing the combing in a contrasting colour palette - say Alfa Carabo metallic bronze...

The main thing is to balance the styling, so that it doesn't look too heavy at the rear.

I will try and do some more renderings when I have the time, I still have my old sunroof canopy and have always fancied the idea of swapping from closed coupe to open top during the Summer months...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Phill,

When you initially posted I envisaged a Nova body, no canopy, and a small deflector screen at the front. However, I think you and Lauren have hit on quite an attractive idea

In fact, if the join between the canopy and the body was 'de-seamed' so that it looks more like one solid body ....

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 09-01-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Yes I really like that Lauren. My version doesn't quite work for me at the back of the canopy whereas I think your treatment looks much better. However, I was also thinking the roof could become a permanent fixture (non opening) with entry over the sides - your version would need a small step (as per fighter jet) to get into the car (which itself would be an interesting feature), or you retain the opening roof - perhaps even hinge from the front like a Puma?