Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    also this is the bit you won't like they recommend at least 6 months old , so when being pulled on and of during fitting it doesn't pull the paint off
    Why is that Mike - surely as long as the paint has dried, hardened and finished outgassing, it should be fine for paint as long as the paint has been properly applied? Waiting six months won't prevent an initial bad paint job from peeling off.

The problem I have with my car is I know it has been poorly repainted in the past and the paint hasn't bonded well to the bodywork. As a result I'm certain when I remove the wrap it'll take the paint off with it.

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...-begins/page16
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Why is that Mike - surely as long as the paint has dried, hardened and finished outgassing, it should be fine for paint as long as the paint has been properly applied? Waiting six months won't prevent an initial bad paint job from peeling off.

The problem I have with my car is I know it has been poorly repainted in the past and the paint hasn't bonded well to the bodywork. As a result I'm certain when I remove the wrap it'll take the paint off with it.

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...-begins/page16
    Unfortunately a lot of paintshops don't understand fibreglass, some even want to put it in an oven, it needs an etch primer as a base, then a high build polyester coat if it's not that flat a finish, dry sanded, then 2k high build primer, you can then put a top coat on, as you say if the prep underneath is not good it could take the paint with it, also the adhesive properties of different wraps is vast, 3M and Chinese versions for instance

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think the 'Rat look' or even 'barn find look' is not nice, a 'fad' in the 1990s but not so much now.

Always gives ME the impression the owner either lacks the skills, money , time or inclination to do a proper job.

But hey, That's just IMHO.

You don't like Barnfind? I am going to send the Scottish Mafia around to your gaff for a 'discussion'

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    You don't like Barnfind? I am going to send the Scottish Mafia around to your gaff for a 'discussion'
    I don't like OTT stupid custom either. or modern abstract art, I like it to look as if some time and effort went into it. But hey, that's just me, GOM
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Sorry Steve, not worth it at the moment coz would still have to quarantine for 2 weeks if returning to Scotland from Spain

Blog Entries
    When I purchased my car, I only received 1 side pocket, probably original, definitely a bit rough.

My local fibreglass shop (where the body is currently stored) took a mould from the original and created 2 new pockets for me; They were clever enough to check the fit of the original before creating the new mould, just as well because the original didn't fit, either the mounting hole was to big or the mounting flange on the pocket too small, so the new side pockets were created with a bigger flange (pic) they actually look better for it when placed in-situ in the car (sorry no pics of that).

Anyway, so I now have a mould for a Mk1 Side pocket, I will hold onto it as a club resource - if you want to use it PM me please, it's free.
    Pick-up at Stonleigh preferred.

Blog Entries
    It seems like a long time ago when I innocently did a trial fit of the fuel tank and discovered that I got some clearances badly wrong, requiring conversion to hard fuel lines, slimmed down chassis crossmember, plus a shed load of other re-vamps thrown into the bargain.
    It has been satisfying part of the build in some respects, but it's been a long road and has set me back weeks, with a way to go still.

I extended the fuel pump outlet with a larger non-return valve and an AeroFlow AN8 90 degree bend to get the fuel line to run past the back of the outlet. That AeroFlow part came from Oz via a UK distributor it was a real b*gger to find online :-(

This is the new route of the fuel lines, the mock-ups are in copper, I will be using 10mm OD stainless for these.

The crossmember below is a mock-up also, I will probably use a 10mm stainless bar here (with the same clevis end) clearance to the fuel line is 9mm.

There are some pretty tight tolerances here, this one (Fuel line vs gearbox) was too close for comfort...

… so I am going to chase out ~7mm from the square section tube below to give the fuel line more clearance. I will weld in a new section plus a mount for the fuel line in the newly created channel.
    Last edited by steve; 15-07-2020 at 12:56 AM.

I keep saying this. www.anplumbing.com
    They have everything.
    https://www.anplumbing.com/hose-ends/push-on.html
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No they don't. It's a non standard part.
    AN8 to 3/8 (10mm) barb hose, tight 90 degree turn because of clearance issues.
    I found it around 02:45 on a couple of obscure Aussie websites, but the brand (AeroFlow) has a UK distributor Brown And Geeson Ltd (https://www.b-gdirect.com/Shop). Very helpful - I had great service from them.
    They had one brought over in one of their consignments from Oz.
    Super happy to get the part but 4 Hours of my life I will never get back.

More great work and lovely detail, why do you need a non return valve on the electric pump? Is there not one on the engine?

Dirk