Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    More great work and lovely detail, why do you need a non return valve on the electric pump? Is there not one on the engine?

Dirk

Good question. The 044 pump came with a (different) valve pre-fitted.
    I changed it to a longer one so that the outlet pipe lined up with the pipe going away.
    If it's not needed I will replace with a piece of stainless tube, we'll see.

Blog Entries
    I chased out the box section on the fuel tank to reposition (raise) the outlet pipe, I now need to get that piece and some other pipe clips welded on; I might get the stainless fuel pipes made up first in case the pipes or clips are few mm's 'off'.

The shape of the stainless pipe I need is simple enough that I could bend them up myself, but I can't put a 'barb' on the pipe ends to stop the rubber hose pulling off, this is what I mean, any thoughts on how I can do that?

would Brake pipe flaring tools work on stainless?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKZ4hy6cho

or take a to machine shop and have them do it

I also would use brake flaring tool.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    would Brake pipe flaring tools work on stainless?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKZ4hy6cho

or take a to machine shop and have them do it

You need a swaging tool - my understanding is that a brake pipe tool will flare but not swage.

Pretty sure John Dickens did a swaging article in Complete Kit Car some time back, a quick google finds tools are not the cheapest and I suspect you get what you pay for, so I wonder if David’s suggestion of finding a shop is simpler? That said looking at your build I suspect next week you will show us how you researched swaging ,built a tool, and swaged all the joints before having your weetabix!
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    You need a swaging tool - my understanding is that a brake pipe tool will flare but not swage.

Pretty sure John Dickens did a swaging article in Complete Kit Car some time back, a quick google finds tools are not the cheapest and I suspect you get what you pay for, so I wonder if David’s suggestion of finding a shop is simpler? That said looking at your build I suspect next week you will show us how you researched swaging ,built a tool, and swaged all the joints before having your weetabix!
    I think you have me confused with other guy(s) on here with floor-mounted machine tools and a man-cave the size of Hertfordshire, but I will do some further research as you suggest

Thanks all for the replies.

Decent brake pipe tools both flare and swage (bubble flare). at least mine does.

Brake line tool.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 21-07-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    It's a nice feeling when the kitcar gods smile on you.
    The trial fit of the Steering column went as well as I could have hoped.
    I chose a Ford Sierra column because of the long length, the switches on the column itself, and the fact you can get connectors for it. With the steering wheel correctly located for my driving position, the column reached the Rack outlet with a bit to spare (I wasn't sure that would happen).
    Note the shoe (Pic) used to check clearance above the pedals, I may lower that end of the column a little...

Working out the measurements for the steering column support bar, which will be made from 1 inch round steel tube. This support bar will be used during the build, shake down, and body-off engine testing only (the body needs to be on-hand to create the version I'll use on the road.

And I think I'll be able to use a single UJ (CBS supply them with the triangular fitting for the Sierra (Pic) - another good result.
    The splined shaft (same pic) will need to be grafted to the Steering rack outlet, or maybe a custom CNC part made, we'll see.

The column will pass through the front bulkhead on a bulkhead bearing (an aftermarket part for the Sierra) which fits the round plastic bush shown below.

Coming together nicely, its nice to be able to get a working and running rolling chassis before the body goes on, so much easier then being upside down under a dash trying to figure stuff out.

Blog Entries
    Quick update; In the end I bent the fuel hardline myself using my Draper copper pipe bender, amazing that it worked on 1mm wall stainless - just!
    Now that I have the hardline I can get the mounts welded to the underside of the tank, that would have happened days ago had my Welder not gone radio-silent :-) He pinged me back late last week so we should be able to get things moving this week.

As part of 'Tank Re-vamp II', I now have an inspection plate (top right -the mount needs welding in) I am looking at using foam squares to baffle or using this stuff: https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demo...baffle-exp10l/ Any thoughts?

My 'B' job is the support for the steering column, I now have the measurements for the main U bar and the brackets on the bar itself (to fit the steering column mount visible at the top of pic) and the one above the pedal box, next step is to spec those up and get them laser cut.