Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Foam in the tank? ....

So after the concours finish on your chassis you really are going to take her racing? Right enough, I remember you did say that you intended to 'stretch her legs' instead of just taking her to shows. I'm really looking forward to the videos of her on the track!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Foam in the tank? ....
    I know what you mean, when I first saw it, I had a mental image of the fuel eating through that foam...
    I can only assume its a type that is hydrocarbon tolerant

Steve this is very "belt and braces", I assume this is because you didn't get all the baffles you would have liked inside?

I figure that you left the area clear of foam for the fuel gauge float to move etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    I know what you mean, when I first saw it, I had a mental image of the fuel eating through that foam...
    It does degrade in time, essential to have good filters they do tell you to keep checking the tank for particals, best thing is stainless mesh looks like a big scouring pad

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Steve this is very "belt and braces", I assume this is because you didn't get all the baffles you would have liked inside?

I figure that you left the area clear of foam for the fuel gauge float to move etc.

Hi Dave, Yes that is the main reason. I wanted to slow down fuel movement inside the tank to avoid fuel starvation issues (the engine will be Fuel Injected and they are more prone to starvation) and to reduce stress on the tank itself during cornering and day-to-day driving.

@Alistair
    Racing performance only comes into it if you are alongside me at the 'lights ;-)

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

@Alistair
    Racing performance only comes into it if you are alongside me at the 'lights ;-)
    Hahaha .... can't believe I'm saying this at my age, but you've got yourself a date, even although I'm pretty sure you'll win!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    It does degrade in time, essential to have good filters they do tell you to keep checking the tank for particals, best thing is stainless mesh looks like a big scouring pad
    I think I've seen those, effective!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Hi Gaisa,
    This is the stuff:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APS-Autom...-/371571397903

@Dave
    The Fuel level float is contained in a vertical dip tube (not free-floating like the VW one), I notched out a section of foam to accommodate it, the float is well protected in the tube, the foam won't restrict its movement.
    Last edited by steve; 12-10-2020 at 02:12 AM. Reason: vertical not horizontal

Very interesting Steve

Blog Entries
    Well, the Beetle spigot attachment arrived; and it allowed me to dry-fit the steering parts with the correct geometry, but I ended up with more questions than answers...

1. While the attachment (it's an EMPI part, OEM not available) fits the steering rack spigot, the fit is 6/10 at best, it's not good enough so I still need to solve that problem.

2. With the steering wheel in the correct (comfortable) position, the Steering column is ~1 inch short, it therefore has to run higher to meet up with the steering rack spigot, this makes the UJ operate at too steep an angle, and the 2 ends foul (just visible in the pic). The column runs too high above the drivers feet as well, which is also a concern.

So I need to extend the steering column (I don't want to use a dished steering wheel) or get a UJ with a longer mount - that will be a custom part though. I still need to solve the original problem of finding a fitting for the Polo rack spigot, I am warming to the idea of a pinned cut & shut as a few people suggested above.

I wasn't planning to fit a flexible rag-joint into the mix (bottom pic) any thoughts on that, do I need one?